Bin-Laden’s death comes as “double blow” to already ‘wounded’ al-Qaeda: ExpertsMay 3rd, 2011 - 1:59 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 3 (ANI): The death of Osama bin-Laden had has come as a severe blow to the al-Qaeda, leaving it “wounded” and disorganised, experts have claimed.
“It’s not the death knell yet, but they’re wounded. They’re hurting. This adds to all the adverse things they’re facing - the decreased attractiveness of their ideology, a diminishing capacity as an organization and, now most importantly, the lack of a unifying element,” The New York Daily News quoted Rolf Mowatt-Larssen, a senior fellow at Harvard University’s Belfer Center, as saying.
“It’s not clear after him there is such a person that can keep the whole thing together,” he added.
Bin Laden had made the al-Qaeda into the world’s most feared terror organization, especially after the 9/11 attacks on the US.
The experts, however, believe that al-Qaeda had been on a decline after several
top figures got killed, and uprisings across the Middle East proved them of less relevance.
Thomas Sanderson, Deputy Director of the Transnational Threats Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, believes that bin-Laden’s death has come as a “double blow” for the organisation.
“These developments present great challenges to the organization, but they are survivable because he long ago marginalized himself by creating a network of regional terror groups.” (ANI)
- 'Patient' Al-Qaeda 'determined' to use WMD's against US: Ex-CIA official - Jan 27, 2010
- Al Qaeda still determined to attack US: Report - Jan 26, 2010
- Al-Qaeda had been one of most lethal organisations under bin-Laden: Study - May 04, 2011
- Al-Qaeda affiliates will still pose threats: US experts - May 02, 2011
- 'Loose nukes greatest danger in Pakistan' - Jul 03, 2009
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Obama: Al-Qaeda leader Bin Laden killed in Pakistan - May 02, 2011
- 'US sees bin-Laden's killing a chance to end Afghan war' - May 04, 2011
- US avoided 'high profile trial' by killing bin-Laden: Analysts - May 03, 2011
- 'Bin Laden death won't stop war': Ex Guantanamo Bay detainee Habib - May 02, 2011
- Osama's death not a big loss for Al Qaeda: Iraqi expert - May 02, 2011
- al-Qaeda leadership confirms Bin Laden is dead, says it will release audio recording - May 06, 2011
- Osama death: Al-Qaeda down but not out, says former Oz foreign minister - May 02, 2011
- `Osama dead but Al Qaeda still dangerous' (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- US to keep pressure on Al Qaeda - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,