Billy Joel tune is a good fit for Obama’’s economy theme songMarch 18th, 2009 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar.18 (ANI): A New York University professor, Robert Wright, has suggested that a good theme song on Obamas message for the economy is an old Billy Joel tune: “We Didn”t Start the Fire.”
“We didn”t start the fire / It was always burning since the world’’s been turning / We didn”t start the fire / No we didn”t light it but we tried to fight it,” goes the chorus.
According to the Washington Times, the 1989 hit has spawned fan love and fan hate since it hit number one on the charts.
But what’’s really interesting about the song is the political/historical nature of the lyrics.
Joel basically runs through a list of cultural events from 1949 to 1989, starting with Harry Truman and ending with “cola wars.”
The song is actually a history teacher’’s dream.
The overall message, it seems to be, is that the baby boomers, Joel’’s generation, were not to blame for all the social and geopolitical chaos that he felt was occurring at that time.
When you watch the music video, the message that comes through is one of disillusionment with modern Western culture and “The American Dream.” (ANI)
- Dumped husband Kevin Fiore smashes up his marital house - Jul 25, 2012
- Katy Perry's 'Wide Awake' Video: Singer punches her Prince Charming - Jun 20, 2012
- We packed the ego and made a song: Band member A.R. Rahman - Sep 10, 2011
- Ozomatli sings to kids in new disc - Aug 22, 2012
- Bengali bands rock - and make themselves heard! - Dec 19, 2010
- Why sing in English: Honey Singh - May 08, 2012
- Bollywood is creatively satisfying: 'Bodyguard' director (Interview) - Aug 28, 2011
- To be part of it: the Olympics in a British way - Jul 26, 2012
- Dancing Jackky Enthralls Duch Fans - Jul 12, 2010
- Michelle Obama urges Brazilian youth to build friendships 'around the world' - Mar 20, 2011
- America's Got Talent: Episode 5, Seattle - Jun 19, 2011
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- Lata Mangeshkar joins Javed Akhtar's fight for copyright - May 20, 2012
- Danica Patrick has 3 wrecks in 3 races at the Daytona 500 - Feb 28, 2012
- True fans didn't leak track, says Madonna - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: american dream, baby boomers, billy joel, chaos, cola wars, disillusionment, economy, harry truman, history teacher, love, lyrics, music video, new york university, professor robert wright, washington times, western culture, york university professor