Bill Clinton named PETA’s 2010 Person of the YearDecember 21st, 2010 - 12:26 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Dec 21 (ANI): Former US President Bill Clinton has been named PETA’S 2010 Person of the Year.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) applauded Clinton, who was known for gobbling fast food in the Oval Office, for recently adopting veganism.
“Thanks to his new plant-based diet, he’s shed some pounds, decreased his risk of future heart problems and spared the lives of many animals,” the New York Daily News quoted the organization as saying in a press release.
Prior to Clinton daughter’s marriage, she asked him to loose some pounds. In September, he had told CNN that he lost 24 pounds only because of his new diet.
“I live on beans, legumes, vegetables, fruit. I drink a protein supplement every morning. No dairy,” he had said.
The former president embraced the new diet plan after he was hospitalised for having chest pains in February. He also had a quadruple bypass surgery in 2004.
He said his new food groups were doing a world of good for his health woes.
“I did all this research, and I saw that 82 percent of the people since 1986 who have gone on a plant-based, no dairy, no meat of any kind, no chicken, no turkey-I eat very little fish, once in a while I’ll have a little fish,” he said. “If you can do it, 82 percent of people have begun to heal themselves.”
PETA also agreed saying, “By choosing a plant-based diet, President Clinton has spared the lives of nearly 200 animals a year and reduced his risk of cancer, strokes, and other diseases.” (ANI)
- Bill Clinton Goes Vegan for Plant Based Weight Loss - Sep 23, 2010
- Bill Clinton named as 'PETA Person of the year' - Jan 03, 2011
- Bill Clinton's crash diet 'weird and extreme', says dietitian - Sep 24, 2010
- Shahid promotes vegetarianism in new PETA ad (With Images) - Apr 11, 2011
- Bill Clinton Named Person Of The Year By PETA - Jan 03, 2011
- Hollywood-Bollywood come together for vegan cookbook - Jul 03, 2012
- PETA Picks Olivia Wilde As The "Sexiest Vegetarian" - Jul 02, 2010
- Is Bill Clinton becoming a vegan? - Sep 22, 2010
- Body painted PETA activist to protest - Aug 06, 2012
- Shahid voted Asia's sexiest vegetarian man - Jul 01, 2011
- Bill Clinton Stars on 'Rachael Ray' Show - Sep 20, 2011
- Kathy Freston Featured In "Oprah Winfrey Show" - Feb 02, 2011
- It pays to go veg - Aug 30, 2012
- Hugh Jackman to turn a vegan soon - Sep 06, 2010
- PETA targets Joe Biden for feeding U.S. troops hot dogs - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: chest pains, cnn, diet plan, ethical treatment of animals, food groups, health woes, heart problems, little fish, new food, new york daily news, new york dec, oval office, people for the ethical treatment of animals, person of the year, president bill clinton, protein supplement, treatment of animals, us president bill, us president bill clinton, york daily news