Bihar asks Nepal for security over Kosi repairFebruary 24th, 2009 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, Feb 24 (IANS) Bihar’s Central Water Commission (CWC) authorities have asked Nepal’s government to provide security after protesters forced work on repairing the flood-damaged Kosi embankment to stop.
The CWC Monday sent a letter to the district authorities of Sunsari, the southern area along the India-Nepal border where floods created havoc last monsoon, asking for security after the people displaced by the Kosi river stepped up protests.
The flood victims have been on the warpath since five days, blocking the highway and asking the government to address their rehabilitation demands.
On Monday, they stopped the Indian company contracted to rebuild the damaged embankment from continuing with the repair.
The contractor has warned that if the obstruction continues, it would not be able to complete the repair in time, which could lead to more floods this monsoon.
Earlier this month, Indian Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon had visited Nepal when he said the Kosi repair would be completed by April.
Last August, a rain-gorged Kosi created havoc in Sunsari in Nepal and Bihar in India, displacing thousands and destroying infrastructure worth millions of rupees.
While Nepal blames Bihar, which is mandated to maintain the Kosi embankment, the Indian state says its engineers were prevented last year from carrying out repair work that could have prevented the disaster.
Currently, Nepal is reeling under a near 18-hour daily power outage with the government unable to buy power from India and alleviate the crisis due to the destruction of transmission lines.
- Flood deaths rise to 15 in Nepal - Jul 02, 2011
- India keeps close watch on Kosi, `Bihar's sorrow' - Jul 26, 2010
- Nepal on vigil as rains lash 'Bihar's sorrow' Kosi - Jun 30, 2011
- Bihar minister inspects Kosi embankment repair in Nepal - Jun 11, 2009
- Indian firm to be called to repaid Kosi barrage in Nepal - Jul 08, 2009
- Three killed as monsoon begins havoc in Nepal - Jul 01, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Bihar's sorrow Kosi could strike again - May 02, 2009
- India gives Nepal $1.6m to fight floods - Jul 14, 2009
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- 11 killed as late monsoon wreaks havoc in Nepal - Jul 12, 2010
- Nepal and India to inspect Koshi repair works - Jun 11, 2009
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Indian minister to visit Nepal - Jul 10, 2009
Tags: central water, cwc, disaster, district authorities, embankment, flood victims, floods, havoc, kosi river, menon, monsoon, nepal, power outage, protesters, protests, rupees, s central, transmission lines, warpath, water commission