Big Trout Lake ‘monster’ sparks raging Internet debateMay 22nd, 2010 - 5:01 pm ICT by ANI
Toronto, May 22 (ANI): Two nurses in Ontario have spotted a strange-looking creature in Big Trout Lake in a remote Northern Ontario area, the photographs of which are causing a sensation over the Internet.
Elders in Ontario native community say that the mystery creature, called omajinaakoos, is a rare animal known as the ‘ugly one’, and is a messenger of bad news, reports the Globe and Mail.
The animal is about 30 centimetres long and has a rat-like tail with “almost a human face,” says the community’s website.
Band councillor Darryl Sainnawap said his great uncle spotted one about 50 years ago.
“He says in his younger days he was with his grandfather … and he did see this same creature and that’s the last time he saw it,” he said. “His grandfather called him omajinaakoos.”
Ever since the photos were uploaded on the community’s website, they have been sparking intense speculation about the creature’s origins.
Some believe it’s a is a water-logged muskrat, otter, possum, mink, beaver or bear cub while others believe it is a version of a rare beast called Montauk monster - an unidentified animal that washed ashore in Montauk, New York in 2008.
“Whether it was eaten by dogs or it was washed away because this was on the shore, or it was eaten by seagulls, I don’t know,” said Mr. Sainnawapm a local. “All we know is it’s not there any more and what’s left of it are the pictures.” (ANI)
- Montauk Monster: The mystery creature found in panama - Sep 21, 2009
- Bieber to take legal action against game developers - Feb 27, 2012
- Floods affect Himachal's trout breeding - Sep 05, 2011
- Bits of plastic endangering sea creatures - Apr 18, 2012
- Can otters 'sniff-out' their prey underwater? - Jun 05, 2010
- Our oceans home to 750,000 undiscovered species - Oct 04, 2010
- Australia to lose 45 animal species in 20 years - Mar 23, 2011
- Happy Feet Penguin seems to be heading the wrong way - Sep 06, 2011
- New evidence proves 'Montauk monster' was a hoax - Jun 05, 2009
- Justin Bieber Inspires The Name Of Bronx River Beaver - Oct 02, 2010
- Man Bitten in Beaver Attack - Aug 14, 2012
- Spider crab re-discovered after 99 years - Aug 25, 2011
- Fossils reveal 500 million-year-old tulip-shaped creature - Jan 19, 2012
- Montauk Monster: Mystery Creature's Body Found In Panama - Sep 19, 2009
- Otters back from the brink of extinction in England - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,