Bielefeld held by Frankfurt in BundesligaSeptember 29th, 2008 - 1:13 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Sep 29 (DPA) Eintracht Frankfurt snatched a late 1-1 draw against Arminia Bielefeld, while SC Karlsruhe beat VfL Wolfsburg 2-1 in the Bundesliga.Wolfsburg would have gone third in the table had they managed to win Sunday in Karlsruhe and for much of the game they were the dominating side, but failed to create any real chances.
Instead, it was Massimilian Porcello, who managed to slam a direct free-kick through the defensive wall in the 51st minute for the opening goal of the game in Karlsruhe.
The visitors were further weakened in the 71st minute when Brazilian striker Grafite was sent off for a second bookable foul on goalkeeper Markus Miller.
Four minutes later, Karlsruhe put the game beyond Wolfsburg when Sebastian Freis scored his side’s second.
Substitute Ricardo Costa pulled one back with his first touch of the game in the 78th minute with a well-taken header, just five seconds after coming on, but it was too late to allow Wolfsburg to come back into the game.
In Frankfurt Polish striker Artur Wichniarek gave the visitors the perfect start as he opened the scoring in the 7th minute with a speculative shot from an acute angle at the edge of the area that bent in over goalkeeper Oka Nikolov.
Although Wichniarek was slightly offside when he received the ball, the referee allowed the goal to stand.
Frankfurt pushed more men upfront in the second half and brought on attacking midfielders Markus Steinhoefer and Caio. They were rewarded for their effort two minutes from the end when Benjamin Koehler found a late equalizer with a header.
The result leaves bottom-placed Frankfurt still waiting for their first win of the season.
Bayern Munich after their second successive defeat Saturday when they were beaten 1-0 at Hanover 96 - are ninth with eight points. SV Hamburg top the table with 13 points after their 1-0 victory at home against Borussia Moenchengladbach, ahead of Bayer Leverkusen, who won 3-2 at VfL Bochum and are on 12 points.
Werder Bremen are third on 11 points after winning 5-4 against high-flying rookies Hoffenheim. Schalke (who lost 1-0 at Cologne on Friday) and Borussia Dortmund, who beat VfB Stuttgart 3-0, are also on 11 points.
- Schalke keep pace with leaders, Frankfurt enjoy late win - Feb 15, 2010
- Mertesacker saves Bremen as Hamburg and Schalke stumble - Nov 29, 2009
- Bayern Munich claims win against newcomer - Aug 26, 2012
- Bremen go top as Hanover and Bundesliga remember Enke - Nov 22, 2009
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- Dortmund and Bayern win in Bundesliga - Apr 08, 2012
- Wolfsburg concede late 1-1 in Hamburg under new coach - Jan 30, 2010
- Ribery shoots Bayern Munich back to top of Bundesliga - Mar 01, 2010
- Leverkusen spend Christmas at the top but Bayern lurk - Dec 20, 2009
- New boy Robben scores for Bayern as Leverkusen go top - Aug 30, 2009
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Petric helps Hamburg down Cologne in Bundesliga - Dec 08, 2008
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- Bochum, Hertha seek Cup relief after Bundesliga slump - Sep 21, 2009
- Dortmund close in on Bundesgila title - Apr 15, 2012