Bid to hijack plane to Libya thwarted: reportApril 25th, 2011 - 7:21 am ICT by IANS
Rome, April 25 (IANS) A bid to hijack a Rome-bound flight from Paris and be taken to Libyan capital Tripoli was thwarted Sunday, due to quick reaction of flight attendents and passengers on board, Xinhua cited Italian media stating.
According to media reports, the incident occurred when a man on the flight Sunday night attacked an air-hostess and tried to divert the flight to Tripoli. But he was stopped, thanks to the immediate reaction of some flight attendants and passengers on board.
The incident happened around 9.30 p.m. (local time) on flight AZ329 linking the two European capitals, local news agency Ansa reported.
The attacker tried to assault the flight attendant using a nail clipper blade.
The flight, with 131 passengers aboard, landed safely at Rome’s Fiuminico Airport. The attacker was handed over to the police, and the hostess, who only suffered minor injuries to the neck, was sent to an emergency room at the airport.
According to the report, the attacker, was identified as Valeriy Tolmachev, is a Kazakh citizen. He is 48.
- Businessman held for stealing mobile - Aug 23, 2012
- Kazakh official's bid to hijack plane foiled - Apr 25, 2011
- Egyptair resumes flights to Tripoli - Nov 18, 2011
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- 10 injured as plane makes emergency landing in Lahore - Aug 31, 2012
- Parcel bomb explodes at Italian tax collecting agency, injuring director - Dec 10, 2011
- Jet Airways aborts flight after smoke in tyre - Feb 17, 2011
- Afriqiyah Airways offers free trip to Tripoli for relatives of plane crash victims - May 12, 2010
- Chinese official suspended for beating air stewardess - Sep 04, 2012
- British kid flies to Rome without passport - Jul 25, 2012
- Vietnamese man opens plane's emergency exit on runway - Nov 07, 2011
- Afriqiyah Airways passenger plane crash-lands at Tripoli International Airport - May 12, 2010
- Two killed as ship runs aground off Italy - Jan 14, 2012
- Passenger flight in US diverted after terror threat - Apr 29, 2010
- All 19 on board dead in Nepal plane crash - Sep 25, 2011
Tags: air hostess, ansa, attacker, clipper blade, emergency room, european capitals, flight attendant, flight attendants, flight attendents, italian media, kazakh, libya, libyan capital, local time, minor injuries, nail clipper, news agency, rome, tripoli, xinhua