Bhutto in Dubai, as emergency looms over PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:15 am ICT by admin
“I am going to Dubai to see my children and ailing mother,” Bhutto reportedly told her party leaders.
Her ‘emergency’ visit to Dubai comes amidst growing speculations that President Pervez Musharraf might impose martial law in the country if the Supreme Court gives a verdict jeopardising his ambition to continue as the president of the country.
Pakistan Supreme Court was expected to give its verdict on the validity of Musharraf’s candidature in the October 6 presidential polls on Friday, but has rescheduled it to November 12, only three days ahead of the General’s term being over.
Bhutto, who has reportedly said that she would arrive back on November 8, on Wednesday condemned the reports about the imposition of emergency or any other undemocratic action in the country, and warned that the nation would resist such acts.
Bhutto had warned that in case of emergency, people would come out on streets, and her party would lead the nation against the extreme action, which would be against democracy and sovereignty of the country.
Meanwhile, there is mounting speculations that Musharraf might take any action that he might deem appropriate for the country and for the continuity of the system.
Though the government has constantly rejected such reports, the rumours just refuse to die down because of the current law and order situation and the political uncertainty in the country. (ANI)
- PPP advises Benazir not to come back - Nov 14, 2007
- Gilani offers to quit after apex court contempt notice (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- 'Musharraf will be arrested if he returns' - Jan 27, 2012
- Pakistan's apex court issues Gilani contempt notice (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Gilani offers to quit after apex court contempt notice (Third Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Pakistan parliament passes resolution supporting Gilani (Night Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Pakistan's judiciary free, independent, says minister - Aug 01, 2011
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Evidence submitted in Gilani's contempt case - Feb 22, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Feb 25, 2012
- Zardari leaves a tense Pakistan for a day in Dubai (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Musharraf may be returning to his own grief: Daily - Jan 26, 2012
- Country stands by Supreme Court, says Imran Khan - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: bhutto, country pakistan, dubai, emergency visit, extreme action, geo tv, imposition, law and order, martial law, pakistan supreme court, party leaders, political uncertainty, president pervez musharraf, presidential polls, rescheduled, speculations, verdict