Bhupathi, Prakash in doubles second roundJune 24th, 2009 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 24 (IANS) Mahesh Bhupathi and Mark Knowels of Bahamas had to dig deep to move into the second round with a tough 6-7 (4), 6-4, 7-5, 7-5 victory over Indian Somdev Devvarman and South African Kevin Anderson in Wimbledon tennis championships here Wednesday.
Prakash Amritraj and Pakistan’s Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi, too, had to come through a gruelling encounter to beat Australian Stephen Huss and Ross Hutchins of Britain 6-4, 6-7 (12), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3. The match was stopped after two sets due to fading light Tuesday.
Somdev, who was making his first appearance here, and Anderson gave a tough time to their fourth seeded opponents in an over four-hour long match.
Bhupathi and Knowles lost the first set in tie-breaker before drawing level with a break of serve in the second game even as their opponents missed three break points.
The Indo-Bahamian pair took the lead converting one of the four break points in the third set.
Devvarman and Anderson came hard in the fourth set with both teams exchanging couple of breaks, but failed to stop Bhupathi and Knowles from advancing to the next round. They will face will next face Geram Philipp Petzschner and Austrian Alexander Peya.
- Prakash-Qureshi run into Bhupathi-Knowles in third round (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2009
- Bhupathi-Knowles in Wimbledon doubles third round (Lead) - Jun 26, 2009
- Somdev makes main draw of French Open for first time - May 21, 2010
- CWG tennis: Paes-Sania crash out, Somdev advances (Roundup) - Oct 08, 2010
- Wimbledon: Bhupathi, Paes in third round mixed doubles - Jun 28, 2011
- Bhupathi-Knowles out of Legg Mason Classic - Aug 06, 2009
- Paes-Peya advance in French Open - Jun 01, 2012
- French Open: Paes-Bhupathi, Bopanna-Qureshi advance, Somdev exits - May 26, 2011
- Indians move up in Wimbledon doubles - Jun 24, 2010
- Wimbledon: Paes-Bhupathi, Somdev and Sania advance in doubles - Jun 25, 2011
- Bopanna, Somdev go down fighting in Davis Cup (Roundup) - Sep 17, 2010
- US Open: Paes-Bhupathi beat Somdev-Huey to enter quarterfinals - Sep 06, 2011
- Somdev-Huey go down in Farmer's Classic final - Aug 01, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna, Paes-Stepanek advance to Miami quarters - Mar 27, 2012
- US Open: Devvarman crashes out, Sania, Bhupathi advance - Sep 04, 2009
Tags: aisam ul haq, aisam ul haq qureshi, alexander peya, break points, fading light, first appearance, hutchins, indo, june 24, kevin anderson, knowels, mahesh bhupathi, philipp petzschner, prakash amritraj, second game, somdev devvarman, stephen huss, tie breaker, wimbledon, wimbledon tennis championships