Bhullar in lead at Players ChampionshipMay 6th, 2009 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
Aamby Valley (Maharashtra), May 6 (IANS) Gaganjeet Bhullar opened a three-shot lead after the first day of the PGTI Players Championship presented by Aamby Valley Golf Club here Wednesday.
The Kapurthala-based professional fired a bogey-free six under 66 in round one on Wednesday to be placed at the top of the leaderboard. Chiragh Kumar, Vikrant Chopra and Nabin Mandal are tied second at three under 69.
Bhullar, fresh from last week’s win in Jaipur, made pars on his first five holes before converting a 25-foot putt for birdie on the 15th. After making the turn at one under, he sank three successive birdies on the first, second and third. His best birdie of the day came on the par three sixth, where he hit his six iron tee shot to within 15 feet of the pin and then knocked in the birdie putt.
“I could’ve had an even better start today had it not been for two poor chip shots on the 12th and 14th. But from the 15th hole onwards I got into my rhythm and made some long putts. Even though I missed a few short putts today, I’m quite satisfied with my effort. I just want to continue with what I did last week and focus on my goal,” said Bhullar, who is currently the leader in the PGTI Order of Merit.
Delhi’s Chiragh Kumar shot three under 69 as he birdied the first, third, sixth, 13th and dropped a lone bogey on the 17th.
Another Delhi golfer Vikrant Chopra and Kolkata’s Nabin Mandal joined Chiragh in tied second at three under 69. Vikrant made five birdies and one bogey in his round, while Mandal sank four birdies and dropped one bogey.
Vinod Kumar, Rafick Ali Mollah and Rahil Gangjee share fifth place at two under 70.
- Kensville Challenge Golf: Gangjee takes opening day lead - Jan 26, 2012
- Ashok Kumar in lead after third round in Panasonic Open - Mar 31, 2012
- Jaini, Bhullar, Das chase Siddikur at Panasonic Open - Mar 30, 2012
- Gaganjeet Bhullar hogs limelight at Bangladesh Golf - Jan 26, 2011
- Digvijay Singh wins Panasonic Open India - Apr 01, 2012
- Kumar maintains lead at Hero Indian Open golf - Oct 14, 2011
- Bhullar bags third professional golf title - May 10, 2009
- Bhullar extends lead to nine strokes at Players Championship - May 08, 2009
- Lahiri moves to top, Malik close second in BILT Open golf - Oct 29, 2010
- Lahiri registers impressive six-stroke win - May 15, 2010
- Lahiri fires 69 to take lead - Aug 09, 2012
- Ajeetesh, Jaini finish third and fourth at Sail Open golf - Mar 25, 2011
- Bhullar claims PGTI Players Championship - Aug 15, 2009
- Lahiri one behind leader Prayad at Queens Cup Golf - Jun 16, 2011
- Rohana snatches dramatic win in PGTI golf - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: bhullar, birdie putt, birdies, bogey, chip shots, chopra, foot putt, kolkata, maharashtra, mandal, mollah, nabin, order of merit, pars, players championship, putts, rahil gangjee, start today, valley golf club, vinod kumar