Bhaichung scores a brace against Ballack’s teamJuly 13th, 2008 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Munich, July 13 (IANS) It was a night to remember for India captain Bhaichung Bhutia who stood out with his brace alongside some big names in world football in a charity match here at the Allianz Arena. The Saturday night match was organised by former Dutch international Clarence Seedorf and Brazil striker Ronaldo to raise money for the ‘Goal 4 Africa’ project, which was inspired by Nobel laureate Nelson Mandela’s dream of “Education for all — all for education”. Seedorf is also the brand ambassador for the ‘Goal4Africa’ project.
The match was played in true spirit as the two teams were name ‘Edu’ and ‘Cation’.
Bhaichung turned out for Seedorf’s side Edu, which lost 6-9 to Michael Ballack-led Cation. The Indian captain scored two and set up one for legendry Formula One driver Michael Schumacher and made his presence felt among the constellation of stars, who sweated out on the home turf of Bayern Munich for a noble cause.
The Indian forward, who played upfront, had to overcome a tough challenge from the solid Italian defender Gennaro Gattuso, something that Bhaichung could have never done with the national team.
Bhaichung also made some good moves and on one occasion set up Seedorf but the latter failed to get past Brazilian goalkeeper Nelson Dida.
A few minutes later, Bhaichung released Schumacher on the right and on receiving the return pass shot it wide.
In the 33rd minute came the much awaited moment when the Indian captain chested the ball and unleashed his powerful left footer to beat Dida from close range.
After the breather, Bhaichung came close to scoring again after being set-up by Schumacher. The Indian striker chased the ball and his resultant kick missed the bar by a whisker. Few minutes later, Seedorf laid the ball for the Indian star to place it in the net. This was Bhaichung’s second goal for his losing team but for a noble cause.
The campaign hopes to raise more than $90m (
- Gomez opens the scoring against India - Jan 10, 2012
- Bayern are here for serious business, says coach Jupp Heynckes - Jan 09, 2012
- Sao Paulo win thriller against Santos - Mar 19, 2012
- Bhutia dazzles in his testimonial against the mighty Bayern (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Bhutia steals the show as Bayern Munich dazzle - Jan 10, 2012
- Bayern win friendly against Holland - May 23, 2012
- No way I insulted AC Milan skipper Gattuso, says Tottenham's Jordan - Feb 18, 2011
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Nobody can replace Bhaichung, says Gouramangi - Jan 07, 2012
- Nine men enough for Inter Milan to dominate city derby - Jan 25, 2010
- Chettri certain to miss friendly against Bayern Munich - Dec 20, 2011
- Bayern seal last sixteen berth in Champions League - Nov 23, 2011
- Redknapp blames AC Milan skipper Gattuso of using racism card to justify head butt - Feb 17, 2011
- Bayern Munich, Hannover triumph in Bundesliga - Sep 03, 2012
- Bayern Munich claims win against newcomer - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: africa project, allianz arena, bayern munich, bhaichung bhutia, clarence seedorf, constellation of stars, driver michael schumacher, dutch international, gennaro gattuso, good moves, home turf, indian captain, indian star, left footer, legendry, michael ballack, nelson dida, nelson mandela, nobel laureate, true spirit