Betty Ford Given Diamond Legacy AwardMarch 18th, 2009 - 1:01 am ICT by GD
Five hundred glamorous people attended the inaugural Diamond award luncheon to benefit the Coachella Valley Alumnae Panhellenic’s scholarship fund.
The event honored Betty Ford with its first ever Diamond Legacy award. Since Betty was not attending, her daughter in law, Juliann Ford, son of Betty and Gerald Ford, John (Jack) accepted it on her behalf. Jim Hood presented the carved crystal trophy, which was designed by Baccarat.
Ford was honored because she had helped people get a new start when she went public about her fight against breast cancer and addiction to alcohol and other drugs. She had also founded the Betty Ford Center that has worked to rehabilitate 80,000 people so far.
The President of the Betty Ford Center, John Schwarzlose spoke highly of Betty Ford, speaking of how involved she has been with the working of the center and how much she had chipped in. He said, “In the first three days of opening the center, the employees were captives at a ‘dry run’ of the facility, when Betty realized there were no soap dishes, so she dragged her Secret Service protectors over to Kmart to purchase soap dishes for the clients.”
He also said that Mrs. Ford often met with the clients at the center to make them feel at home and to encourage them, adding, “Her goal was to help restore the dignity of every patient that came to the center.”
Mrs. Ford is said to have changed the way America looked at its First Ladies with her courage, candor and frankness.
- Former US first lady Betty Ford dead - Jul 09, 2011
- Michelle Obama to attend Betty Ford's funeral - Jul 12, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan Has A Reason To Smile On Thanksgiving Day. - Nov 26, 2010
- LiLo's rehab security 'stepped up over stalker fears' - Dec 17, 2010
- Rehab staff fired for blabbing about Lindsay Lohan - Dec 23, 2010
- Lindsay Lohan's lawyer: Stolen necklace not worth $2500 - Feb 14, 2011
- Probe launched at Lohan rehab clinic - Dec 24, 2010
- Lindsay moves out of rehab to get ready for court appointment - Oct 22, 2010
- Lindsay getting therapy for e-mail, Twitter addiction - Oct 08, 2010
- Maureen O'Hara Hopeful Of Finding New Irish Talents In Acting - Dec 18, 2010
- LiLo Caught Trying To Escape Rehab For Soft Drink - Oct 15, 2010
- Lindsay Lohan 'to leave rehab Jan. 4' - Dec 29, 2010
- Lindsay Lohan due back in court, twice in the span of a week - Feb 23, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan spent $500 per day on bad security at Betty Ford - Dec 10, 2010
- Lindsay Lohan Is Scared Of Her Stalker! - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: alcohol and other drugs, alumnae, award luncheon, betty ford, betty ford center, breast cancer, candor, captives, coachella valley, crystal trophy, diamond award, diamond legacy, ford john, frankness, gerald ford, kmart, legacy award, scholarship fund, schwarzlose, soap dishes