Bethlehem names street in Putin’s honourJune 27th, 2012 - 10:24 am ICT by IANS
Amman (Jordan), June 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Vladimir Putin said he was surprised when told that a street in Bethlehem was named in his honour.
Mahmoud Abbas, head of the Palestinian National Authority, told Putin Tuesday that the mayor of Bethlehem has decided to name a street in the city after Putin because it would show how much the Palestinians value the Russian president and the Russian people.
“Just as in this case and in others, I’m usually told in advance and for me this was completely unexpected,” Putin said.
Putin and Abbas opened a new Russian centre for science and culture in the West Bank city of Bethlehem.
The centre was built on a ground donated to the Russian Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society by the Palestinian authorities a few years ago.
Putin said that the names of politicians should be given to streets by the future generation in honour of those who have passed away, adding that he “would like to live a bit longer”.
According to Abbas, the street leading to the centre will be named after Putin.
Another Palestinian city, Jericho, has a street named after Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, who visited the country in January 2011.
An avenue in Chechnya’s capital Grozny also carries Putin’s name.
- Palestine city names street after Medvedev - Jan 21, 2012
- Russia and Jordan agrees on energy deal and support to Palestine - Jan 20, 2011
- Putin may visit London for Olympics - Jun 20, 2012
- Syria's neighbours should help end conflict: Putin - Jun 27, 2012
- Medvedev, Putin harvest corn at farm - Oct 26, 2011
- Putin returns to Kremlin amid protests (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Putin quits as head of ruling party - Apr 24, 2012
- Putin spy posters put up in Moscow - Jul 15, 2011
- Putin proposes Medvedev as prime minister - May 07, 2012
- Putin confirms Medvedev to be PM, given election win - Dec 02, 2011
- Russian jailed for bombing that killed 19 - Apr 27, 2012
- Russia supports creation of independent Palestinian state, urges talks - Jan 19, 2011
- New Russian cabinet could use tycoon Prokhorov: Putin - Mar 08, 2012
- Russian presidential polls March 4 - Jul 22, 2011
Tags: capital grozny, chechnya, city of bethlehem, dmitry medvedev, future generation, jericho, mahmoud abbas, palestinian authorities, palestinian city, palestinian national authority, palestinian society, president vladimir putin, ria novosti, russian centre, russian imperial, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, russian prime minister, science and culture, vladimir putin