Berlusconi’s babes’ ‘vicious catfight’ shakes up coalitionNovember 28th, 2010 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 28 (ANI): Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s centre-right coalition is under threat following a vicious catfight between two of his most glamorous allies.
Mara Carfagna, a former topless model appointed equal opportunities minister two years ago, and Alessandra Mussolini, an MP who is not only the grand-daughter of the fascist dictator but also the niece of Sophia Loren, are at loggerheads.
The trouble started when Mussolini took a photo on her mobile phone of Carfagna talking in parliament to Italo Bocchino, a member of a group of rebel MPs who have split from Mr Berlusconi’s coalition.
Mussolini then distributed it to Italian newspapers, accusing Carfagna of being a “traitor” to the government.
Carfagna, in return, called her una vajassa, which loosely translates as “screeching fishwife”. Now Mussolini has threatened to boycott a crucial confidence vote in parliament next month, unless she receives a public apology from Carfagna.
“I’m amazed that this comes from the minister for equal opportunities, it’s really the pot calling the kettle black,” the Telegraph quoted Mussolini as saying.
She then rubbed salt into the wound by making a very public show of kissing a senior member of the government with whom Carfagna has quarrelled.
“It was only a political kiss, not a real smacker. There were no tongues,” she added.
Carfagna also announced her resignation as both a minister and an MP, amid rumours that she wanted to put herself forward as a future mayor of Naples.
After days of behind-the-scenes negotiations, Berlusconi appeared to have sweet-talked her into staying.
“It’s all sorted out with Mara. I spoke to her for two hours, she understood and she’s not quitting,” he said.
But the real test for him will come on December 14, when the government faces votes of no confidence in both houses of parliament. Defeat could trigger Berlusconi’s resignation and new elections - more than two years before his mandate is supposed to expire in 2013. (ANI)
- World's sexiest politician Mara Carfagna had an affair with Italian MP - Mar 19, 2011
- Berlusconi's favourite model minister quits - Nov 23, 2010
- Berlusconi foes to pull out of government - Nov 13, 2010
- Italian government to ban prostitution in public places - Nov 06, 2010
- Mussolini's granddaughter lashes out at Carla Bruni over immigrants - Apr 08, 2011
- Silvio Berlusconi appoints former topless model as First Lady stand-in - Jul 04, 2009
- Berlusconi wants removal of Italy's parliament speaker - Sep 08, 2010
- Berlusconi to write memoir on his private life - Aug 24, 2011
- Mussolini's granddaughter dismisses `sex video' claim - Nov 27, 2009
- Berlusconi wins vote but loses majority, asked to quit - Nov 09, 2011
- Anti-Berlusconi tweets swamp Twitter feed at EU summit - Dec 18, 2010
- Carla Bruni's G8 snub to sex scandal hit Berlusconi - Jul 08, 2009
- Berlusconi blasts 'prosecution campaign' against him - Sep 18, 2011
- Berlusconi to take over AC Milan from daughter - Feb 17, 2012
- Italy approves economy stabilisation law - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: alessandra mussolini, catfight, confidence vote, equal opportunities, fascist dictator, fishwife, grand daughter, houses of parliament, italian newspapers, italian prime minister, mara, niece, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, public apology, rebel mps, silvio berlusconi, smacker, sophia loren, topless model