Berlusconi undergoes op to repair face damage following Milan attackMarch 8th, 2011 - 6:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 08 (ANI): Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has undergone a four-hour operation to repair damage done to his face when he was attacked more than a year ago at a political rally in Milan.
The operation, which involved Berlusconi being put under a general anaesthetic, involved bone transplant surgery to his jaw and teeth, reports the Telegraph.
It was necessary because he had been having trouble chewing and moving his jaw, surgeons said.
The attack had “gravely impaired” the functioning of his jaw, according to a statement released by his personal doctor, Alberto Zangrillo.
He said the operation at Milan’s San Raffaele Hospital had been successful and the prime minister might be able to return to work in Rome as early as Thursday.
The billionaire businessman, 74, suffered a broken nose, two smashed teeth and gashed lips when a man with a history of mental illness threw a souvenir of Milan’s cathedral at his face in Dec 2009. (ANI)
- Berlusconi makes first public appearance after facial surgery - Mar 10, 2011
- Pope commiserates with Berlusconi over assault - Dec 15, 2009
- Injured Berlusconi to stay in hospital until Wednesday - Dec 15, 2009
- Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi remains hospitalized after attack - Dec 15, 2009
- Souvenir that hit Berlusconi becomes cult item - Dec 15, 2009
- Berlusconi to remain in hospital for fourth night, docs order - Dec 17, 2009
- Milan attack may have caused Berlusconi physical, psychological damage - Dec 17, 2009
- Witness claims Berlusconi's attacker was 'given' souvenir - Dec 16, 2009
- Berlusconi to take over AC Milan from daughter - Feb 17, 2012
- Italian prime minister cleared in tax evasion case - Oct 18, 2011
- Berlusconi's attacker apologises for "superficial, cowardly conduct" - Dec 15, 2009
- Video game invites players to attack Berlusconi - Dec 16, 2009
- Berlusconi suffers injuries in vicious attack, hospitalised (Third Lead) - Dec 14, 2009
- Berlusconi assailant acquitted - Jun 29, 2010
- Berlusconi's ex-dental hygienist quizzed over 'arranging hookers' claims - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: billionaire, broken nose, businessman, general anaesthetic, history of mental illness, italian prime minister, lips, london march, milan, personal doctor, political rally, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, rome, san raffaele hospital, silvio berlusconi, teeth, telegraph, transplant surgery