Berlusconi retracts criticism of coach AncelottiMay 13th, 2009 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 13 (DPA) AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi Wednesday seemingly recanted his criticism of coach Carlo Ancelotti over an unsuccessful Serie A season.
La Repubblica quoted the media magnate turned politician, who is currently serving a third term as Italy’s prime minister, as saying that “if this year we didn’t win the scudetto it’s only Ancelotti’s fault.
Milan director general Adriano Galliani, however, Wednesday told the ANSA news agency that he “heard president Berlusconi, who told me he was flabbergasted (after hearing about la Repubblica’s article).”
Berlusconi, who cannot officially hold the title of club president due to a conflict of interest, reportedly spoke about Ancelotti with Italian tourists in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt.
There have been frequent rumours that English powerhouse Chelsea are keen on Ancelotti, who steered Milan to win one Serie A scudetto, two Champions League titles and one Club World Cup in eight seasons.
English media Wednesday considered Ancelotti’s transfer to the London club as virtually certain at the end of the season, after the interim tenure of Dutchman Guus Hiddink.
Chelsea are said to have offered Ancelotti 5 million euros ($6.8 million) per season until 2013, while Milan’s could pay him 3.5 million euros each year up to 2012.
Milan veteran Gennaro Gattuso, however, was quoted as saying that “Ancelotti will stay on. I hope not to be wrong.
“He has a wonderful relationship with everyone in the dressing room and more than 90 per cent of the people who work at Milan want him to stay.”
- Brooding Gattuso may consider a farewell to AC Milan - Nov 24, 2009
- Ibrahimovic, Silva sold to PSG, admits Berlusconi - Jul 13, 2012
- Carlo Ancelotti confirms he'll take up Chelsea job - May 18, 2009
- No way I insulted AC Milan skipper Gattuso, says Tottenham's Jordan - Feb 18, 2011
- Hiddink to coach Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala - Dec 21, 2011
- Chelsea confident of getting Hiddink - May 24, 2011
- PSG eyes $85 mn-bid for Brazilian duo - Jun 03, 2012
- Manchester City reject Milan's Tevez bid - Dec 11, 2011
- Hiddink rules out return to Stamford Bridge, suggests two Blues coaches - Apr 17, 2011
- Guus Hiddink rules out dramatic Chelsea comeback - Apr 15, 2011
- 'Dangerous' Russia to qualify from group: Hiddink - Jun 10, 2012
- Tevez is money-seeker, says Seedorf - Dec 12, 2011
- Milan's offer for Tevez rejected: Galliani - Dec 19, 2011
- Chelsea sack Ancelotti as manager - May 23, 2011
- Ancelotti to face Abramovich inquest even if Chelsea wins double - May 05, 2010
Tags: ac milan, adriano galliani, ansa news agency, carlo ancelotti, club president, club world cup, conflict of interest, dressing room, dutchman guus hiddink, eight seasons, gennaro gattuso, italian tourists, la repubblica, league titles, london club, magnate, scudetto, sharm el sheikh, sharm el sheikh egypt, silvio berlusconi