Berlusconi again backs Blair for EU President’s postOctober 15th, 2009 - 4:33 pm ICT by ANI
Rome (Italy), Oct.15 (ANI): Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has backed old chum and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair to be the next President of the European Union.
In an open letter to Il Foglio, the newspaper part-owned by his estranged wife Veronica, which is mounting a campaign in support of Blair, Berlusconi said: “Tony Blair has everything it takes to become the first President of the European Council.”
The daily’s front-paged article further goes on to say: “My government and I will work to ensure we do not lose a great political legacy, made with courage, equilibrium and prudence without uncertainty.”
The friendship between the two men goes back to the start of the Iraq war, which Berlusconi staunchly supported.
In the summer of 2004, the Blair family enjoyed a holiday at Berlusconi’s estate in Sardinia.
This is not the first time that Berlusconi has enthused about Blair’s candidacy. He has previously said that Blair has the “ideal personality” for the job. (ANI)
- Berlusconi buys villa near Clooney's house - Mar 23, 2012
- Berlusconi blasts 'prosecution campaign' against him - Sep 18, 2011
- Berlusconi admits he's 'a sinner', accuses opponents of staging 'show trial' - Feb 12, 2011
- Berlusconi faces witness manipulating charges - Apr 20, 2012
- Italian PM appoints new cabinet - Nov 16, 2011
- Berlusconi, 75, gets fit for election campaign - Jul 14, 2012
- Berlusconi to release his song album Tuesday - Nov 20, 2011
- Berlusconi planning to release his album of love songs - Nov 18, 2011
- Monti to govern till 2013: Berlusconi - Nov 21, 2011
- Mussolini's granddaughter dismisses `sex video' claim - Nov 27, 2009
- My love for women, work and play won't change: Berlusconi - Oct 30, 2010
- When Italian senate applauded likely caretaker PM - Nov 11, 2011
- Judge dismisses Berlusconi tax-evasion case - Jun 28, 2012
- Italian held on suspicion of extorting money from Berlusconi - Sep 01, 2011
- Berlusconi's daughter Italy's next prime minister? - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: blair family, british prime minister, british prime minister tony blair, candidacy, first president, former british prime minister tony blair, il foglio, iraq war, italian prime minister, minister tony blair, old chum, political legacy, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, prime minister tony blair, prudence, rome italy, sardinia, silvio berlusconi, tony blair