‘Benjamin Button’ leads Oscar nominations, ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ is second (Lead)January 22nd, 2009 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Jan 22 (IANS) The Brad Pitt starrer reverse-ageing drama “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” has turned out to be the frontrunner for the 81st Annual Academy Awards with 13 Oscar nominations followed by British filmmaker Danny Boyle’s Golden Globe winning drama “Slumdog Millionaire” that has got 10 nominations.Indian composer A.R. Rahman has been short listed with three nominations in the best original score and two nomination for the songs “Jai ho” and “O Saya” in the original song category.
The runners-up are “Batman Begins” sequel “The Dark Knight” and Elliot Graham’s biopic on San Francisco gay activist Harvey Milk “Milk” - receiving eight nominations each.
While Sean Penn got nominated as best actor in a leading role category, Josh Brolin has received the best actor nomination in a supporting role for “Milk”.
Late Australian actor Heath Ledger received the highly anticipated posthumous nomination for the best supporting actor for his performance as the iconic villain The Joker in “The Dark Knight”.
Veteran actress Meryl Streep received her 15th nomination at the Oscars for “Doubt”, alongside British actress Kate Winslet for best actress in Stephen Daldry’s “The Reader”.
“The Reader” and “Doubt” in all have received 5 nominations each.
The gala presentation ceremony is to be held Feb 22 at the Kodak Theatre here.
- 'Slumdog…' becomes India's star-spangled Oscar dream (Roundup) - Jan 23, 2009
- 'Slumdog…' becomes India's star-spangled Oscar dream (Intro Roundup) - Jan 23, 2009
- 'The Artist', 'Hugo' in tie with five Oscars each (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2012
- 'The Artist' bags maximum Golden Globe gongs (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- List of Oscar nominees - Feb 21, 2009
- Meryl Streep wants Voila Davis to win Oscar - Feb 26, 2012
- Fox News'' list of ''Oscar nominations'' - Dec 28, 2008
- 81st Annual Academy Awards nominations - Jan 22, 2009
- Top honours crown 'The King's Speech' at 83rd Oscars (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2011
- French film 'The Artist' leads 69 Golden Globe Awards nomination - Dec 16, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' big winner of Oscar evening - Feb 28, 2011
- Meryl Streep wins the Oscar for the Best Lead Actress - Feb 28, 2012
- 'Adaminte Makan Abu' out of Oscar race - Jan 19, 2012
- Golden Globe: Clooney, Streep bag best actor, actress - Jan 16, 2012
- 'The King's Speech' sweeps BAFTA, Rahman loses (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: actor heath, actress meryl streep, annual academy awards, australian actor, batman begins, batman begins sequel, best actress, best original score, british actress, british filmmaker, curious case of benjamin button, danny boyle, gala presentation, golden globe, harvey milk, josh brolin, kodak theatre, meryl streep, song category, veteran actress