Benazir’s return to promote national reconciliation: Shaukat AzizNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:31 am ICT by admin
Aziz said that every political party had the right to express its views and promote political activities by establishing contacts with the people.
When asked whether another former Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif, would be welcomed like Bhutto, Aziz said that it is a different matter, but the Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) is playing its role inside and outside Parliament.
Aziz said the case of Nawaz Sharif is pending before the Supreme Court, and added that Sharif had gone abroad under an understanding.
Commenting on the caretaker government in the country, Aziz said that one had been established in the NWFP.
However, the important thing was to bring an independent and credible personality so that he could play an effective role in conducting free, fair and transparent elections, the Dawn quoted Aziz, as saying.
Meanwhile, Information Minister Muhammad Ali Durrani has termed Bhutto’s return to Pakistan as a ‘hasty step and an emotional act’ which will undermine the national reconciliation initiative taken by Musharraf.
“Bhutto’s decision to come back against the advice of Musharraf will not make any positive contribution to a harmonious political atmosphere the latter wants to create,” he said.
Durrani said Bhutto has taken hasty decisions in the past and was doing the same now.
“It would have been better if she had responded positively to Musharraf’s sincere advice to delay her return. Her positive gesture would have helped change the pattern of confrontation politics.”
Asked why Musharraf wanted her to delay her return, Durrani replied: “For a smooth transition to democracy.” (ANI)
- PM should respect court orders: Nawaz - Jan 17, 2012
- Musharraf delays return to Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- Gilani gets lawyer in contempt case (Evening Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- It's monarchy in Pakistan, not democracy, says Imran - Dec 17, 2011
- Don't come back, ISI chief told Musharraf in Dubai - Jan 24, 2012
- Non-bailable warrant for Musharraf in Bugti assassination case - Aug 16, 2012
- Amid improving ties, Zardari to meet Manmohan, visit Ajmer (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Musharraf fears Sharif would make his life 'miserable' if he replaces Zardari - Nov 07, 2009
- Sharif refused to quit politics in spite of 'death threats from dictator': Pervaiz Rasheed - Nov 21, 2010
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Musharraf responsible for Kargil conflict: Ex-ISI chief - Nov 01, 2010
- Musharraf offers olive branch to archrival Nawaz Sharif - Apr 17, 2011
- Gilani has no option but to write letter: Nawaz - Feb 11, 2012
- Gilani, in Supreme Court, backs Zardari (Evening Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: ali durrinformation minister, benazir, bhutto, caretaker government, democracy, hasty decisions, minister nawaz sharif, muhammad ali, musharraf, national reconciliation, nwfp, pakistan muslim league, political atmosphere, prime minister nawaz, reconciliation initiative, shaukat aziz, transparent elections