Benazir’s name removed from Exit Control ListNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:12 am ICT by admin
The latest decision is part of the National Reconciliation process that led to the return of Bhutto to Karachi, ending her eight years of self-exile.
Pakistan’s Attorney General (AG) Malik Muhammad Qayyum had said that all cases against Bhutto stood automatically withdrawn after the promulgation of the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO).
The NRO that was promulgated on October 5, just a day before the presidential elections, grants general amnesty to all politicians, bankers and bureaucrats from charges relating to misdemeanours, misconduct and misuse of power between January 1986 and October 1999.
The NRO has invited widespread protest and condemnation from various political parties, lawyers and public opinion. They even dubbed it as discriminatory and a gross violation of the Constitution.
The ordinance was also challenged in provincial courts of the country questioning Musharraf’s authority to grant general amnesty. (ANI)
- Gilani reaches court for contempt hearing - Feb 13, 2012
- pakistan's National Accountability Bureau official removed - Mar 31, 2010
- Next government can approach Swiss courts: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Geneva approached to reopen Zardari's graft case - Mar 31, 2010
- Attorney general gets court order in Zardari case - Mar 10, 2012
- Gilani has no option but to write letter: Nawaz - Feb 11, 2012
- Will resign if convicted: Gilani - Feb 12, 2012
- Rehman Malik's dismissal from FIA turned into retirement - Apr 20, 2010
- Evidence submitted in Gilani's contempt case - Feb 22, 2012
- Gilani meets Zardari after apex court's contempt notice - Jan 16, 2012
- Zardari's children vow to stand by convicted Gilani - Apr 27, 2012
- Pakistan defence minister stopped from leaving country - Dec 18, 2009
- Pakistani PM urged to implement apex court's NRO verdict - Jun 27, 2012
- Pak SC throws out govt's NRO beneficiaries' list in absence of Zardari's name - Sep 28, 2010
- NRO fallout: Malik barred from leaving country - Dec 18, 2009
Tags: amnesty, asif ali zardari, benazir bhutto, bureaucrats, condemnation, ecl, gross violation, karachi, malik, misuse of power, musharraf, national reconciliation, nro, pakistan government, political parties, presidential elections, promulgated, promulgation, provincial courts, public opinion