Benazir will return as per schedule on Oct 18: PPPNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:09 am ICT by admin
“The Supreme Court’s decision will not affect Bhutto’s plan to return to Pakistan on October 18,” said Mohammad Akram Farooqui, President of the PPP.
Farooqui said Bhutto has now decided to fly to Karachi directly from Dubai.
Rehman also defended the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), saying the PPP was striving to transform the country from a war-like environment to a peaceful democracy.
Earlier, the Supreme Court had on Friday said that it would decide whether a government amnesty for Bhutto is legal.
The move means Bhutto, who had said she would return to Pakistan on October 18, could still face corruption charges if the court overturns the NRO.
Meanwhile, PPP Leader Zaheeruddin Babar Awan said that the party is committed to face any situation on Bhutto’s return, as his party did not need counselling from anybody and also did not fear any threat.
It is categorically clear that Bhutto is coming back as scheduled. Threats, media trial, litigation, propaganda and even any counsel cannot now stop her coming back,” the Daily Times quoted Awan, as saying.
“She will land at Karachi Airport, then lead a massive rally to Mazar-i-Quaid. This will be the start of the PPP’s campaign for the general elections,” Awan added. (ANI)
- Contempt of court: Gilani set to appear before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- PPP leaders laud Awan's resignation to plead ZAB retrial case - Apr 18, 2011
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani won't ask Switzerland to reopen cases against Zardari - Feb 10, 2012
- A first: Pakistani PM indicted for contempt (Fourth Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Gilani verdict to be appealed: Minister - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani convicted, opposition demands his ouster (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Zardari's children vow to stand by convicted Gilani - Apr 27, 2012
- PPP leader accuses judiciary of being biased against Zulfikar Bhutto - May 04, 2011
- Pakistani PM on suicidal warpath, says daily - Jan 18, 2012
- 'PPP committed to empower women, girls through better education incentives' - Mar 07, 2011
- Dynastic politics a tragedy, says Pakistani daily - Apr 05, 2012
- Malik passes NRO accountability buck to Musharraf - Oct 03, 2010
- Reopening Zulfikar Ali Bhutto case will strengthen Pak judiciary: Awan - Apr 02, 2011
- Gilani visits Benazir grave - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: awan, babar, benazir, bhutto, corruption charges, final arrangements, general elections, karachi airport, massive rally, mazar, mohammad akram, national reconciliation, nro, pakistan, peaceful democracy, political stability, ppp, rehman, supreme court, trial litigation