Benazir terms Karachi blasts as an attack on democracyNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:32 am ICT by admin
She also thanked the God Almighty for protecting her and top PPP leaders, and said, “The assassination attempt was not on me as an individual, but all other top PPP leaders were also targeted.”
The Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) chief expressed shock and deep grief over the loss of party workers, security guards and police officers in the incident, The News reported.
Calling the explosions an attack on democracy, integrity of Pakistan and humanity, she said, ” The unity and integrity of Pakistan depends on restoration of democratic order in Pakistan.”
At least 139 people were killed, including three police officers, and over 550 were injured late on Thursday night as suspected suicide bombers tried to attack Benazir’s convoy on her return to the country after eight-year self-imposed exile.
Two explosions went off a minute apart shortly after midnight near Karsaz close to the vehicle Bhutto was travelling in, at the head of a procession of hundreds of thousands of the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) supporters who had flooded the streets of Karachi to welcome her.
The attack reportedly bore the hallmarks of al Qaeda and resembled assassination attempts by militants linked to the terrorist network on President Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz in recent years.
A state of high alert has been declared in Karachi.
Schools and colleges will remain closed in the city. A medical emergency has been declared at the Jinnah and the Civil Hospitals here.
Traffic was thin on the roads of Karachi on Friday, as a majority of the people decided to remain indoors. (ANI)
- Pakistan remembers Benazir Bhutto - Dec 27, 2011
- 'Zia's remnants trying to malign Zardari, children by using Benazir banner': PPP - Nov 24, 2010
- PPP will honour Salmaan Taseer's memory by continuing his mission: Bilawal Bhutto - Jan 07, 2011
- Sindh Assembly wants Pak Govt to recommend Bhatti's name for Nobel Prize - Mar 15, 2011
- Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani - Dec 28, 2011
- PPP not to unveil Benazir Bhutto assassination report - Apr 04, 2011
- It's monarchy in Pakistan, not democracy, says Imran - Dec 17, 2011
- UN report on Benazir Bhutto assassination "incomplete, unclear": Zardari - Dec 28, 2010
- 'With 290 suicide attacks, Pakistan suffered most since 9/11' - Sep 09, 2011
- Zardari vows to be guarantor of Pakistan's better future - Dec 26, 2010
- Rahul, Bilawal have much to share - Apr 07, 2012
- Pakistan mourns Nusrat Bhutto's death - Oct 24, 2011
- Nusrat Bhutto dies, Pakistan declares mourning - Oct 23, 2011
- Benazir's assassins behind Karachi target killings: PPP - Oct 20, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto's assassins arrested: Malik - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: assassination attempt, assassination attempts, benazir, bhutto, blasts, democracy, explosions, god almighty, integrity, jinnah, karachi, pakistan, police officers, ppp, president pervez musharraf, remain closed, self imposed, shaukat aziz, terrorist network