Benazir names Pervaiz Elahi, Ejaz Shah, Afzal and Hameed Gul as conspiratorsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:47 am ICT by admin
Last Thursday, two explosions went off a minute apart shortly after midnight near Karsaz close to the vehicle Bhutto was travelling in.
“The blasts hit two police vehicles which were escorting the truck carrying Bhutto. The target was the truck,” said a senior Karachi police official.
The attack reportedly bore the hallmarks of al Qaeda and resembled assassination attempts by militants linked to the terrorist network on President Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz in recent years.
The Pakistan Interior Ministry has confirmed the deaths of 70 people in the attack.
Officials at six hospitals in Karachi reported over 130 dead and about 600 wounded, making it one of the deadliest bombings in Pakistan’s history.
Bhutto was leading the procession to Qaid-e-Azam’s mausoleum, where she was to give a speech. However, after the two explosions, she was rushed to the safety of Bilawal House in Karachi’s uptown Clifton area.
According to witnesses, the bomber tried to enter the inner security cordon of the PPP workers around Bhutto, but was stopped. He then set off the explosion.
The second blast originated from a golden-coloured Pajero parked on the road, witnesses added.
Earlier, Intelligence reports had warned of threats of suicide attacks against Bhutto by militants linked to al Qaeda, the Taliban and Baitullah Mehsud. (ANI)
- Senior Pak police officer quits Karsaz tragedy probe - Nov 14, 2007
- South African team agrees to play in Karachi - Nov 14, 2007
- Australian PM suspects al-Qaeda hand in Pakistan blasts - Nov 14, 2007
- Two injured in Karachi blast near Chinese consulate (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Musharraf included in Benazir murder investigation - Nov 23, 2010
- 14 soldiers killed in Yemen car bombing - Aug 18, 2012
- Top Al Qaeda strategist killed in Pakistan? - Jun 05, 2012
- Musharraf knew about Osama hideout: Ex-ISI chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Musharraf killed my mother: Bilawal Bhutto - May 25, 2012
- MQM chief Altaf telephones Bhutto and conveys his sorrow over Karachi bomb attack - Nov 14, 2007
- I would have apologised for Abbottabad: Musharraf - May 08, 2011
- Musharraf warrant valid till compliance: Pakistan to Interpol - May 21, 2012
- Pakistani-American pleads guilty to terror charges - Mar 01, 2012
- 138 killed as suicide bomber hits Benazir's convoy - Nov 14, 2007
- Musharraf refutes allegations about Pak intelligence service's support to Taliban - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: afzal, al qaeda, bhutto, conspirators, explosions, gul, hameed, hospitals in karachi, inner security, intelligence, isi chief, militants, nab, national accountability bureau, pakistan, president pervez musharraf, qaid, rtd, security cordon, target