Benazir claims reserved Parliament seatNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:58 am ICT by admin
The application said that Benazir was at the top of her party’s list as a candidate for one of the women’s seats, and had filed a petition in the Sindh High Court to be declared elected in 2002. However, her petition was contested on account of the cases filed against her and had been pending for five years.
But now, since the cases have been withdrawn, she said the petition be heard urgently and she be declared elected to the National Assembly.
It may be recalled that the newly-promulgated National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) has quashed all cases against her, and declared Section 31-A ‘ab initio’ void.
The NRO has granted amnesty to all politicians, bankers and bureaucrats from all charges relating to misdemeanours, misconduct and misuse of power between 1985 and 2007.
The ordinance applies to all those against whom such allegations are outstanding in courts of law and who have not been convicted. (ANI)
- Malik passes NRO accountability buck to Musharraf - Oct 03, 2010
- Pak govt gets breather in NRO standoff with Supreme Court - Sep 28, 2010
- No threat to Zardari : NAB - Jan 26, 2010
- Pakistan Supreme Court rejects plea to adjourn crucial hearing - Oct 11, 2010
- SC made 'mistake' by asking to reopen Swiss graft cases against Zardari: Pak Govt. - Jun 07, 2010
- Pakistani PM gets two weeks to write to Swiss powers - Jul 25, 2012
- Pak NAB claims it has no trace of money in Swiss accounts - Oct 13, 2010
- Next government can approach Swiss courts: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Petition moved for Pak Interior Minister Malik's disqualification - Sep 08, 2010
- Awan to appear before SC to explain government's stance on Swiss case against Zardari - May 15, 2010
- Pak govt. fully complying with Supreme Court directives: Law Minister - Sep 20, 2010
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- President enjoys immunity, Pakistan PM tells apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Contempt notice against Gilani challenged - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: ab initio, accountability, amnesty, benazir, bureaucrats, conviction, courts of law, farooq, misconduct, misuse of power, national accountability bureau, national assembly, national reconciliation, nro, parliament seat, petition, promulgated, section 31, sindh high court, urgently