Benazir called Musharraf from Lantos’s office: SourceNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:53 am ICT by admin
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice telephoned both Musharraf and Benazir to ensure that they had reached an agreement, the source added.
The next day, the Pakistan Government announced that it would drop criminal cases pending in Pakistan against Benazir.
The two telephone calls contradict the State Department’s repeated assurance that while the US backs the formation of “a moderate political centre in Pakistan, it does not favour any particular candidate or party.”
Congressman Lantos, who enjoys good relations with Musharraf, played a key role in incorporating democratic reforms as one of the conditions for the continued US assistance to Pakistan to a new law that the US Congress passed earlier this year.
Neither Ms Bhutto nor the congressman publicly discussed the conversation but the sources said that Mr Lantos spoke briefly with President Musharraf and then passed the phone to the PPP leader.
Meanwhile, following a fresh security threat issued by a pro-Taliban insurgent leader Baitullah Mehsud to target Benazir, the US has expressed its concern over it.
“We don’t accept Musharraf and Benazir because they only protect US interests. They’re only acceptable, if they wear the Pakistani glasses,” Mehsud was quoted as saying.
Responding to this threat call, Benazir said “I know there are security risks, people who want to kill me and to scuttle the restoration of democracy.” (ANI)
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf - Feb 12, 2011
- Zardari said Mehsud not behind Benazir's killing: WikiLeaks - Dec 04, 2010
- Musharraf knew of plot to kill Benazir, reveals probe - Feb 10, 2011
- Musharraf accused of 'providing direct assistance' to Benazir's killers: Sources - Feb 19, 2011
- Musharraf charged with providing Baitullah with 'opportunity to murder Benazir' - Feb 12, 2011
- Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud's brother killed in Pak - Nov 01, 2010
- UN blames Musharraf regime for Bhutto killing (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2010
- Musharraf asked to answer '32 questions' over Benazir murder case - Nov 23, 2010
- Pak Govt to tap Interpol for Musharraf's return in BB murder case if court directs so - Feb 13, 2011
- Bhutto case: US journalist becomes witness - Sep 10, 2011
- Anti-Terrorism Court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf in Benazir murder case - Feb 12, 2011
- Musharraf to defy Pak court's non-bailable arrest warrant in Benazir murder case - Feb 13, 2011
- Musharraf's supporters in global protests against arrest warrant in Benazir murder case - Feb 18, 2011
- Benazir Bhutto was killed by the Taliban: report - Nov 16, 2010
- Top ISI official faces grilling over providing content for BB murder press conference - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: benazir, congressman lantos, congressman tom lantos, contradict, democratic reforms, ensure that they, good relations, house committee, insurgent leader, ms bhutto, office source, pakistan government, political centre, president musharraf, scuttle, security threat, state condoleezza rice, target, us congress, us secretary of state