Benazir blames government for turning a “blind eye” to militantsNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:20 am ICT by admin
“Not only are our tribal areas are out of our control, but even the beautiful Swat Valley is now under take-over by Islamists,” Bhutto said in an interview.
Her comments came as clashes between government troops and pro-Taliban militants in Pakistan prompted fears that Musharraf would impose martial law.
Bhutto reiterated that her Pakistan People’s Party would accept whatever ruling the Supreme Court arrived at.
“We are going to back the Supreme Court in whatever judgement it decides to give on the issue of Musharraf’s legality,” she said.
Bhutto also condemned the bombing of her homecoming procession in October as a “horrific incident in which over 140 people lost their lives.”
Bhutto confirmed that she had sent a letter to Musharraf in which she “named three individuals” who she suspected “to stop the restoration of democracy” and who she thought might be involved in any attempt on her life.
She said her children had been asleep at the time of the blasts, “and in the morning they got text messages from their friends saying: ‘We hope your mother is well.’”
She said her family supported her.
“They understand that I’m doing this for their country and for all the people of Pakistan,” The News quoted Bhutto, as saying. (ANI)
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- 12 militants killed in Pakistan - Jan 28, 2012
- Country stands by Supreme Court, says Imran Khan - Jan 16, 2012
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- 33 militants killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- Musharraf killed my mother: Bilawal Bhutto - May 25, 2012
- Musharraf knew of plot to kill Benazir, reveals probe - Feb 10, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf - Feb 12, 2011
- Non-bailable warrant for Musharraf in Bugti assassination case - Aug 16, 2012
- Musharraf may be returning to his own grief: Daily - Jan 26, 2012
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Zardari's children vow to stand by convicted Gilani - Apr 27, 2012
- Pakistani defence minister barred from foreign visit (Lead) - Dec 18, 2009
Tags: benazir, bhutto, blasts, clashes, government troops, homecoming, horrific incident, islamists, judgement, martial law, militants, musharraf, pakistan, procession, security system, supreme court, swat valley, text messages, tribal areas, turning a blind eye