Benazir Bhutto weighing political optionsNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:34 am ICT by admin
For the time being, she is hedging her bets.
Western-educated Benazir has been energetically making the case for democratic ideals as part of a well-orchestrated campaign to gain a third prime ministerial term at a crucial time in Pakistan’s turbulent history.
Bhutto, who survived an assassination attempt when she returned from exile last month, has had plenty of time to hone an image designed to ppeal to the West.
She has presented herself as a moderate, willing to stand up to the Islamist militants.
“Neither (Bhutto or Sharif) pushed through any significant reforms,” says Owen Bennett Jones in his book Pakistan.
“In national policy terms, their most important shared characteristic was their ability to run up huge levels of foreign debt,” he adds.
For Bhutto, this homecoming has been even more dramatic than in 1986, when she returned from a previous exile to Lahore and to a one million-strong crowd, going on to win an election two years later for her first stint as prime minister.
This time an assassination attempt by suicide bombers killed more than 140 of her supporters in Karachi and now she must deal with Musharraf’s emergency rule. It is certainly a more eventful career than she had at first contemplated. (ANI)
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Musharraf and his men behind Bhutto killing: Pakistani scribe - Feb 17, 2011
- Bhutto case: US journalist becomes witness - Sep 10, 2011
- Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani - Dec 28, 2011
- Musharraf to be arrested on return to Pakistan - Jan 07, 2012
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Musharraf to defy Pak court's non-bailable arrest warrant in Benazir murder case - Feb 13, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Musharraf sent questionnaire on Benazir Bhutto murder - Dec 24, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto murder: Musharraf sent questionnaire (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Non-bailable warrant for Musharraf in Bugti assassination case - Aug 16, 2012
- Pak Govt to tap Interpol for Musharraf's return in BB murder case if court directs so - Feb 13, 2011
- Musharraf takes to Facebook to slam Pak govt over arrest warrant in BB murder case - Feb 15, 2011
- Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Feb 25, 2012
- Be nice to me for protection: Musharraf told Benazir - May 03, 2010
Tags: assassination attempt, benazir bhutto, bets western, clean break, crucial, democratic ideals, emergency rule, eventful, exile, foreign debt, general musharraf, islamist militants, orchestrated campaign, owen bennett jones, pakistan, power sharing, president general, she returned, turbulent history, well orchestrated