Belgian city introduces school ban on crossesJuly 14th, 2010 - 1:00 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, July 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The administration of the Belgian city of Charleroi has introduced a ban on wearing of both Muslim veils and Christian crosses in local schools.
The ban applies to both primary and comprehensive school students.
In April, the lower chamber of the Belgian parliament approved a bill prohibiting women from wearing full-face Islamic garments, such as the burqa or niqab, on streets, parks, sports grounds and buildings “meant for public use”.
The ban was imposed on the grounds that the wearer of the veil is not fully identifiable and therefore could be a threat to public security, Belgian media reported Tuesday.
Supporters of the law believe that the new law will be of use in the fight against terrorism and also give more rights to Muslim women.
The offender will face a fine of 15-25 euros ($28-47) and possibly a prison term of up to seven days.
- Burqa set to be banned in Belgium - Apr 30, 2010
- Belgian parliament moves against burqa (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Belgium to become first EU country to ban use of burqa - Apr 30, 2010
- Moderate Muslims slam Brit Islamic schools for forcing girl students to wear burka - Oct 03, 2010
- Belgium set to become first EU country to ban burqas - Mar 31, 2010
- Syria bans women wearing veils in universities - Jul 18, 2010
- Spanish town bans burqa - May 29, 2010
- Veiled Muslim women barred from entering France - Jun 13, 2012
- PM of Belgium Quits As Political Crisis There Defers A Vote On The Banning Of The Burqa - Apr 23, 2010
- France detains two women as burqa ban takes effect - Apr 12, 2011
- Voting On Burqa Ban Fails To Take Place As Belgium Coalition Government Collapses - Apr 23, 2010
- Show face to police, burqa-clad Australians told - Jul 02, 2011
- Veil row in Italy after woman fined by cops - May 05, 2010
- British minister terms burqa ban un-British - Jul 18, 2010
- Burqa empowers women, says British minister - Jul 19, 2010
Tags: belgian media, belgian parliament, burqa, charleroi, christian crosses, comprehensive school, garments, july 14, local schools, muslim veils, muslim women, niqab, prison term, public security, ria novosti, school ban, school students, snb, sports grounds, veil