Belarus arrests Lithuanian spiesJuly 13th, 2012 - 8:06 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Former Soviet state Belarus has said it has detained a Lithuanian military intelligence officer and his local agents for spying.
Belarus’ State Security Committee said the Belarusian agents admitted to cooperating with the Lithuanian special services after they were caught red handed.
Electronic media, as well as other spying equipment was seized from them.
The committee said the suspects had collected top secret military information, including data relating to the security system of Russia and Belarus, to pass on to the Lithuanian authorities.
The “timely interference” by the committee “made it possible to reveal the plans of foreign intelligence, take its activities under control and prevent serious damage to the state’s defence capability and security”, it said.
Criminal proceedings have been launched against the detainees on suspicion of treason. They face up to 15 years in prison if convicted.
The Lithuanian foreign ministry rejected the report as “an insinuation”.
The information is not true, foreign ministry spokesman Mindaugas Lasas said.
“Such insinuations of the neighbouring country’s special services do not contribute to improvement of bilateral relations”, he said.
- Russia jails military officer for spying for CIA - Feb 10, 2012
- Estonian charged with spying for Russia - Feb 23, 2012
- Belarus to build vertical takeoff drones - Apr 05, 2012
- Norway attacker took paramilitary training in Belarus - Jul 28, 2011
- Belarus embassy wraps up in Sweden - Aug 11, 2012
- Russian professors jailed for selling missile secrets to China - Jun 20, 2012
- Russian ex-army officer jailed for spying - Dec 08, 2011
- Former Russian spy sentenced 25 years for helping U.S. - Jun 28, 2011
- Belarus tells EU, Polish envoys to leave - Feb 29, 2012
- Belarus calls off nuclear fuel swap programme with US - Aug 19, 2011
- Russian army officer jailed for spying for US - Jun 01, 2012
- Germany detains Russian couple on spying charge - Oct 22, 2011
- Canada has not expelled diplomats: Russia - Jan 21, 2012
- Russia busted about 200 spies in 2011: Medvedev - Feb 07, 2012
- Russian spies most active in Czech Republic - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: bilateral relations, criminal proceedings, defence capability, detainees, electronic media, foreign ministry spokesman, insinuation, insinuations, interference, lithuanian authorities, military intelligence officer, neighbouring country, ria novosti, security system, soviet state, spies, spying equipment, state security committee, suspicion, treason