Beijing Games will be the cleanest, says WADAJuly 24th, 2008 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
Canberra, July 24 (Xinhua) The Beijing Games will be the cleanest Olympics in years despite concerns about the effectiveness of tests for blood doping, said World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) president John Fahey. Though Fahey refused to guarantee a completely drug-free Games, he said cheats were more likely to be caught by the doping agency this year than ever before.
“One has to recognise the question of doping in sport has been around now for a long time,” Fahey told Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Radio Wednesday.
“There’s been evidence that at successive games it’s occurred. (But) I can give this guarantee: there’s a far greater likelihood that anybody cheating or attempting to cheat in the Beijing Games will be caught than in any other time of our history.”
WADA was established in 1999 after the previous year’s Tour de France was rocked by the Festina affair, which exposed systematic blood doping within the sport.
- Dope cheats must withdraw from Olympics: WADA - Jul 11, 2012
- Over 100 athletes got London doping bans: WADA - Jul 26, 2012
- London 2012 anti-doping laboratory receives seal of approval - Apr 24, 2012
- BOA recommends changes to world anti-doping code - Apr 12, 2012
- IOC hears of positive doping tests ahead of Games - Feb 11, 2010
- Cuba's Olympic athletes declared free of doping - Jul 12, 2012
- IOA demands judicial inquiry in doping scandal - Jul 01, 2011
- Russian Terenteva rapped for doping violation - Feb 12, 2010
- Four NIS officials removed, NADA to test food supplements (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Mandeep, Juana ask for food supplements to be examined (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- China conducts 2000 dope tests for Asian Games - Nov 12, 2010
- To ensure drug-free Asian Games, China conducts 2000 doping tests - Nov 11, 2010
- China conducting Olympic standard doping tests for Asiad - Nov 07, 2010
- Robust doping control programme in place for Delhi 2010 - Sep 03, 2010
- Winter Games dope free so far - Feb 20, 2010
Tags: abc radio, australian broadcasting corporation, beijing, blood doping, canberra, doping in sport, free games, john fahey, likelihood, long time, olympics, president john, previous year, tour de france, wada, world anti doping agency, xinhua