Beijing downpour toll rises to 37 (Lead)July 23rd, 2012 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 23 (IANS) The toll in Saturday’s torrential rains here has climbed to 37 as more bodies were retrieved, authorities said.
Among the victims, 25 drowned, six were killed in house collapses, one by a lightning strike and five were electrocuted, reported Xinhua.
Twenty-two of the bodies have been identified.
The heaviest rain in six decades lashed the Chinese capital Saturday, with the average precipitation reaching 170 mm while a township in the suburban district of Fangshan recorded 460 mm of rain.
The downpours have submerged some power supply facilities and led to blackouts in parts of the city.
Following the deluge, a sum of 120 million yuan ($19 million) has been allocated to help the cities of Beijing and Tianjin and the neighbouring Hebei province to fight floods.
The fund, allocated by the finance and water resources ministries, will be spent on repairs of flood-damaged water conservancy facilities in Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei, the finance ministry said in a statement on its website.
More than 70,000 people were relocated due to downpours in Hebei.
- 50 dead in China rains (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Beijing downpours toll rises to 37 - Jul 23, 2012
- China allots $19 mn to fight floods - Jul 23, 2012
- Downpour wreaks havoc across China - Jul 24, 2012
- China allocates $189 mn for flood relief - Jul 27, 2012
- 10 dead, 30,000 evacuated after torrential rains in Beijing (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Nearly 100 killed in China rains (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 13 dead due to rains in China - Jul 22, 2012
- 44 killed in China floods - Jun 10, 2011
- Rains throw life out of gear in Lucknow - Sep 17, 2012
- Rains, floods kill 50 in Russia - Jul 07, 2012
- 17 killed as rains create havoc in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2012
- Beijing braces for more rain - Jul 25, 2012
- Rains, floods hit China - Jun 28, 2012
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: authorities, beijing, blackouts, chinese capital, deluge, downpour, finance ministry, floods, lightning strike, neighbouring, power supply, precipitation, rain, six decades, suburban district, tianjin, torrential rains, water resources, xinhua, yuan