Beijing airport begging ring bustedJuly 18th, 2012 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 18 (IANS) A 23-year-old woman and 12 disabled people have been arrested in Beijing after the woman forced the disabled to beg at the capital city’s international airport, police said.
The woman from Hebei province, surnamed Su, made a profit of more than 50,000 yuan (over $7,900) a month from the begging ring, the Global Times reported.
Police said the beggars were either suffering from hearing or speech impairment. They were later released after some “education”.
According to airport surveillance cameras, the disabled beggars would wake passengers sleeping on chairs at the airport terminal, showed them their disabled cards and begged for money.
Police said they found the beggars would gather in a certain place to hand over the cash they collected.
The beggars said Su recruited them on the internet. She told them she could give them a good job in Beijing which could bring them fortune.
Every noon, the woman would come to the airport to collect the money. To prevent the beggars from trying to conceal any cash, she would frisk them.
The beggars lived in a house near the airport Su had rented.
- Shanghai prepares list of 'professional' beggars - Aug 21, 2012
- Beggars' boom in Srinagar despite preventive laws (Letter from Srinagar) - Aug 07, 2012
- Woman sues airline for killing her pet dog - Jan 10, 2012
- Dead woman married twice in China - Feb 22, 2012
- 60-year-old 'stud' in pregnancy trouble! - Mar 21, 2012
- Mother seeks mercy for son who stabbed her - Nov 01, 2011
- 31 abducted infants rescued in China - Jun 01, 2012
- Seven held in China for prostituting underage girls - Jul 19, 2012
- More foreign women being trafficked to China - Dec 05, 2011
- Kidney-transplant ring exposed in China - May 30, 2012
- China allocates $189 mn for flood relief - Jul 27, 2012
- Daughter pays the price... - Mar 27, 2012
- Beijing move to end street begging by children - Feb 11, 2012
- South African creches rent babies to beggars - Aug 17, 2010
- China allots $19 mn to fight floods - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: airport police, airport terminal, beggars, beijing airport, cards, chairs, disabled people, education, fortune, global times, good job, money, old woman, speech impairment, suffering from, surveillance cameras, yuan