Beer-Can Chicken is TV chef Jack Bishop’s recipe for thrilling grilling experienceMay 18th, 2009 - 5:32 pm ICT by ANI
New York, May 18 (ANI): Television chef Jack Bishop has come up with an easy, cheap and the most efficient way to have a thrilling grilling experience-Beer-Can Chicken.
The editorial director of America’s Test Kitchen and his colleagues have tested and perfected more than 100 backyard grilling techniques for Cook’s Country’s latest book, “Best Grilling Recipes”.
“Beer-Can Chicken is a recipe that’s been on the barbecue circuit for years, not in cookbooks,” the New York Daily News quoted him as saying.
“It’s a recipe that was probably created by a couple of drunk buddies in their backyard,” he added.
The recipe features a spice rub, a glaze, and a can of beer.
The deal is to place an open can of any brew in the cavity of a whole chicken, and grill it standing up.
“It cooks evenly and gets a perfect crisp skin from it standing on the can,” Bishop said.
“And the steam from the can keeps the meat moist and tender,” he added.
Bishop has also revealed that smaller birds tend to be a better fit. One can use either a charcoal or gas grill.
However, the can doesn’t contain beer.
“Beer is a subtle flavor. We put lemonade, Coke and even water in the can and the differences are not that obvious,” he added.
“Most of the flavor comes from a basic spice rub and the optional glaze, both of which are made up of cheap pantry staples and are so easy it’s essentially ‘dump and stir’.
“The rub is essential. It’s fairly classic: The brown sugar helps with the browning and balances out the spice. And lots of paprika, of course,” he added. (ANI)
- Stuffing Recipes Create Buzz On The Web Before Thanksgiving - Nov 22, 2010
- Thanksgiving Dilemma Numero Uno: How Long To Cook A Turkey - Nov 25, 2010
- Tips To Cook A Turkey To Perfection On Thanksgiving - Nov 21, 2010
- Switch to olive oil for better health: Cookery expert Nita Mehta (With Image) - Jan 08, 2012
- India, and its art of spices - Jun 20, 2011
- Oh jolly, it's Tahitian coco prawns - Aug 12, 2011
- Book launched on coastal Maharashtrian cuisine - Feb 03, 2012
- Gordon Ramsay's cookbook named worst of 2010 for unhealthy recipes - Dec 21, 2010
- 'No secrets in kitchen' is celebrity Indian chef's mantra - May 08, 2012
- Beer batter squids, anybody? Or beer cheese soup? (Eating out with IANS) - Dec 14, 2010
- KFC eyes 500 restaurants in India by 2015 - Dec 18, 2011
- Spit roasts to kofta, tuck into festive feasts in Delhi - Dec 24, 2010
- Jyoti Basu loved pasta, says grand-daughter and gourmet author - Jul 25, 2010
- Now, flavoured beer hits Indian market - Jul 11, 2012
- What To Do With The Pumpkin Seeds - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: backyard grilling, beer beer, beer can chicken, brown sugar, crisp skin, editorial director, gas grill, grilling recipes, jack bishop, new york daily news, optional glaze, paprika, spice rub, staples, subtle flavor, television chef, test kitchen, tv chef, whole chicken, york daily news