Beckham uncertain about his 100th international capMarch 17th, 2008 - 9:09 pm ICT by admin
London, March 17 (IANS) Former England captain David Beckham has been left in the dark about his 100th cap for the national side after assistant manager Franco Baldini, who travelled to Texas to watch him play, kept mum on the star’s chances of making it to the squad against France next week. Baldini flew out to watch Beckham, 32, in action in a charity match between his club side LA Galaxy and FC Dallas last week.
While Galaxy coach Ruud Gullit and Dallas counterpart Steve Morrow both agreed Beckham still has the firepower to don the England jersey in the friendly against France March 26, the player will have an anxious wait until Thursday’s squad announcement.
“I’ve not had a chance to speak to him (Baldini). The fact that he was here and looking at me didn’t affect me. That’s part and parcel of being a player for the national team. I just have to go and perform, work hard and show that I am fit enough,” Beckham was quoted as saying in The Daily Mirror.
The former Real Madrid star earned his 99th cap last year against Croatia, a game England lost, ending the side’s hope of playing at the European Championships this summer.
The defeat also marked Steve McClaren’s departure as England coach with Italian Fabio Capello taking over the reins of the team.
Soon after taking charge of the England side, the Italian left out Beckham from his first squad in a friendly against Switzerland at Wembley, which England won 2-1.
- McClaren returns to coach Dutch club FC Twente - Jan 06, 2012
- Britain's Olympic coach Pearce to assess Beckham in US - Apr 25, 2012
- Gullit tips Germany to win Euro 2012 - Jun 07, 2012
- McClaren tells Fergie that he can't tame Rooney - Apr 08, 2011
- Capello looking forward to retirement after Euro 2012 - Sep 09, 2010
- Beckham left out of Britain's Olympic squad - Jun 28, 2012
- Capello looks for right World Cup mix for England (Group C team profile) - May 28, 2010
- Capello's mother to root for England in World Cup - Jun 06, 2010
- Dutch star Ruud Gullit arrives in Kolkata - Jul 28, 2012
- Beckham will act as a liaison between players and Capello - Jun 04, 2010
- Baldini to take over as Roma's general manager - Jul 14, 2011
- Capello believes his wife fancies Becks - Sep 17, 2009
- Beckham vows to banish his Euro 2007 defeat demons - Aug 30, 2009
- Footballer Ruud Gullit to visit Kolkata - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia not in peak condition for Euros: Physio - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: captain david, counterpart, daily mirror, david beckham, england captain, england coach, england jersey, england side, fabio capello, fc dallas, firepower, france march, franco baldini, gullit, la galaxy, london march, real madrid, reins, steve mcclaren, wembley