Beckham debuts for Milan in win over HamburgJanuary 7th, 2009 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Jan 7 (DPA) David Beckham made a quiet debut for AC Milan as the Italians defeated German Bundesliga side SV Hamburg 4-3 via penalties in a friendly match here.Beckham, wearing the number 32 shirt, played the first 45 minutes on the right side of midfield in the Dubai Football Challenge here Tuesday.
Milan won 4-3 on penalties after the match finished 1-1 after 90 minutes. Brazilian Ronaldinho scored from the spot for Milan in the 62nd minute only for substitute Collin Benjamin to equalise five minutes later.
Beckham, 33, has joined Milan on loan from US side LA Galaxy and could make his Serie A debut when Milan play Roma Sunday.
He is hoping to regain his England place during the MLS close-season by staying fit and hoping to play regularly with Milan.
England play Spain in a friendly Feb 11 and the former England captain is seeking his 108th cap. That would put him level with the late Bobby Moore as England’s second-most capped player behind Peter Shilton.
Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti has indicated that the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star could play some part against Roma.
“He is a great champion - a very, very good player,” said Ancelotti. “He needs to work hard because there is a lot of competition in the squad. But we’ll use him for sure.”
- Bayern's Hoeness unimpressed by Beckham show - Jan 07, 2009
- David Beckham wins the MLS Comeback Player of the Year Award - Nov 15, 2011
- Beckham still hoping for England return - Mar 26, 2011
- Beckham set to stay with LA Galaxy - Jan 03, 2012
- Punish referee for Chelsea game: Pogrebnyak - Aug 24, 2012
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Beckham confirmed for Jets match in Australia - Nov 22, 2010
- India lose to Spain in second hockey Test - Jul 08, 2012
- Milan beat Roma to extend lead - Mar 25, 2012
- Croatia dark horses of Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India narrowly go down to Britain - May 27, 2012
- Ronaldinho rediscovers magic in debut for new club - Jun 10, 2012
- Capello to give Beckham a friendly match to retire - Aug 12, 2010
- Becks may not break Shilton's 125-cap record after all! - Oct 30, 2009
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012