Beauty queen who pipped Sarah Palin in Miss Alaska eyes political careerMay 1st, 2010 - 2:43 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 1 (ANI): The woman who outshone Sarah Palin to clinch the Miss Alaska crown is now set to enter the political arena.
Maryline Blackburn, 48, a Democrat, is planning to contest the polls for a seat in the Georgia state House of Representatives.
She will try to win over the seat from the Republican incumbent, Rich Golick, in District 34, in the Atlanta suburb of Smyrna.
Blackburn, an accomplished singer who has received a Grammy nomination twice, was crowned Miss Alaska in 1984.
Palin, who was already Miss Wasilla, had to remain satisfied with the second runner-up’s position.
Blackburn left Alaska for Georgia before Palin attracted attention from across the US as John McCain’s running mate for the White House on the Republican ticket in 2008.
“I was surprised because when we competed, she didn’t show any interest in politics,” the Telegraph quoted Blackburn, as saying last year.
She added: “I was very proud of her. I was excited because I competed with her and she is a female, so that is another notch in the lipstick case for women.
“We aren’t just stay-at-home moms. We can have a career, too, and be involved in politics.”
However, Blackburn also said Palin, who was given the title Miss Congeniality in the 1984 beauty contest, was “calculating.”
Blackburn said: “Everybody liked her, but I could tell she was very calculating.
“She was always asking questions, figuring out what she needed to do to get ahead.” (ANI)
- GOP leadership could target Palin if it falls short in Nov Senate polls - Oct 23, 2010
- Former Alaska governor Palin says she will run for president in 2012 "if there is nobody else to do it" - Oct 29, 2010
- McCain to name Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as running mate - Aug 29, 2008
- Sarah Palin not to run for president - Oct 06, 2011
- Palin's Iowa trip, Friday's Republican dinner, points to 2012 presidential run - Sep 13, 2010
- Meet the woman who beat Sarah Palin in a beauty pageant - Sep 18, 2008
- Miss Alaska winner, who beat Palin, to perform at Obama inaugural balls - Jan 20, 2009
- Palin used Alaska ethics scandal to achieve political stardom - Oct 24, 2010
- Palin hunts caribou in Alaska on reality show - Dec 07, 2010
- Cheney steers clear of Palin's US President dreams - Jan 19, 2011
- 'Plummeting' Palin loses another long-time admirer - Mar 24, 2011
- Obama would be 'in good shape' against Palin in potential 2012 Prez race: Biden - Nov 21, 2010
- Alaska senator not to support Palin's 2012 US Prez bid as she lacks 'intellectual curiosity' - Nov 16, 2010
- Palin's popularity plummets to all time low even among Republican voters, finds poll - Feb 15, 2011
- Oprah's Comments To 'Parade' Construed As U.S. Is Too Smart To Be Seduced By Sarah Palin's Presidency - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: atlanta suburb, beauty contest, beauty queen, blackburn, district 34, georgia state, grammy nomination, home moms, interest in politics, john mccain, lipstick case, miss alaska, miss congeniality, political arena, political career, republican ticket, running mate, sarah palin, state house, wasilla