Be cautious over North Korea, China asks UNSCApril 6th, 2009 - 7:35 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 6 (Xinhua) China has called on the UN Security Council (UNSC) to be “cautious and proportionate” in its reaction to North Korea’s rocket launch.
Ambassador Zhang Yesui, China’s permanent representative to the UN, told a press conference here Sunday that the reaction of Security Council, which held an emergency session on the missile launch by Pyongyang, should be “cautious and proportionate”.
“It served the common interests of the international community to continue to promote the Six-Party Talks, achieve denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and maintain peace and stability on the Peninsula and in Northeast Asia,” he said.
The 15-nation Council kicked off an emergency session Sunday afternoon at the request of the Japanese mission to the UN over the alleged long-range missile test by North Korea, which says it has launched a communications satellite into orbit.
US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice told reporters shortly before the beginning of the UNSC meeting that Washington calls for “a strong collective action” from the Security Council.
“We have been in consultation with our allies in the region, and other partners in the Security Council,” Rice said before she entered the Security Council chamber.
French UN Ambassador Jean- Maurice Ripert also told reporters that the Security Council “should act in an unanimous way” after the rocket launch by Pyongyang.
- China urges dialogue after North Korean satellite launch - Apr 17, 2012
- India concerned at North Korea's rocket launch attempt - Apr 13, 2012
- UNSC condemns North Korean rocket launch - Apr 17, 2012
- US applauds North Korea's statement about no n-test - Jun 12, 2012
- UNSC meets on North Korea's satellite launch - Apr 13, 2012
- Obama extends sanctions on North Korea - Jun 24, 2011
- US confronts China over North Korean rocket launcher - Apr 24, 2012
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- US concludes 'constructive' talks with North Korea - Jul 30, 2011
- North Korea's Kim Jong-il says ready to resume six-party nuclear talks - Aug 26, 2011
- Japan resolution against North Korea's rocket launch - Apr 12, 2012
- Russia opposes new sanctions against North Korea - Apr 13, 2012
- UNSC deplores North Korea's satellite launch (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- US to hold N-talks with Pyongyang - Oct 20, 2011
- North Korea launches long-range rocket: reports (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: collective action, common interests, communications satellite, emergency session, japanese mission, korean peninsula, missile launch, missile test, nation council, north korea, northeast asia, peace and stability, pyongyang, range missile, ripert, rocket launch, susan rice, un security council, unsc, xinhua