BBC staff get trained to announce queen’s deathNovember 1st, 2011 - 12:17 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 1 (IANS) Television presenters at the BBC are being trained on how to correctly announce the death of the queen in a bid to avoid a gaffe like the one when the queen mother died and a veteran news anchor wore a burgundy tie.
The BBC was heavily criticised after the death of the queen mother in 2002, when news presenter Peter Sissons went on air in a grey suit and a burgundy tie, said the Daily Mail.
Staff at the BBC’s College Of Journalism have been shown mock videos that announce that the queen has passed away.
“Like all news organisations, the BBC has plans in place. We provide training to ensure staff understand what would be expected,” an official said.
BBC chiefs hope the funeral training will avoid a repeat of the Sissons episode.
In the aftermath of her death, the BBC received numerous complaints from audiences over the handling of the announcement. Rival broadcaster ITV had presenters who adhered to the traditional black tie attire for the broadcast.
The BBC said it has since changed its policy and reporters will be instructed to wear dark coloured suits, with male broadcasters in white shirts and black ties as a mark of respect.
After the announcement of the queen’s death, the national anthem will be played, while television screens will display a picture of the royal.
BBC will also suspend all comedy shows across its channels until after the burial.
- BBC prepares for the Queen's death! - Oct 30, 2011
- David Cameron to 'shun morning suit tails' at royal wedding - Apr 19, 2011
- Pakistan blocks BBC - Nov 30, 2011
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
- BBC under fire over 'Queen is dead' joke - May 18, 2010
- Prince William's wedding to be 'the biggest TV event in history' - Nov 17, 2010
- Royal wedding audience tops only an episode of 'Only Fools And Horses' - May 02, 2011
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dies on train (Lead, changing dateline) - Dec 19, 2011
- 2010 Christmas Card Of The Kardashians Is Defined By Elegance, Stylishness And Seriousness - Dec 17, 2010
- Holly Willoughby quits Dancing On Ice - Nov 21, 2011
- Boyle's Olympic creation narrative of British history (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- Simon Cowell back on 'Britain's Got Talent' - Dec 09, 2011
- Larry the ratcatcher at Downing Street shows no interest in rodents - Feb 28, 2011
- BBC apologises over 'Queen Elizabeth is dead' joke - May 18, 2010
- Fifa, World Cup organizer considering Vuvuzela ban - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: black tie, black ties, broadcaster, burgundy, college of journalism, daily mail, death of the queen mother, gaffe, grey suit, itv, mail staff, national anthem, news anchor, news presenter, s college, sissons, television presenters, television screens, veteran news, white shirts