BBC rejects calls for on-air apology over controversial ‘muslim’ remarksMay 31st, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 31(ANI): The BBC has now rejected calls for an on-air apology by the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) over contentious remarks made by a panelist.
The BBC in its programme Question Time had the former Daily Telegraph editor Charles Moore, who claimed that the Muslim Council of Britain encouraged the killing of British troops.
He had said that the Council had been reluctant to condemn the killing and kidnapping of British soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that the organisation thought such activities were “a good thing.”
Following the broadcast, the corporation has reportedly offered to pay 30,000 pound to the Muslim Council of Britain and carry an apology on the Question Time website.
In a statement released on Friday, the BBC said: “Question Time always had a lively and wide-ranging debate. On occasion, this results in unfairness to individuals who aren’t there to put their view and this is one of those occasions.”
However, the BBC chiefs have turned down a request to air an apology during the popular programme hosted by veteran presenter Sir David Dimbleby.
A website, news.scotsman.com, had a BBC insider’s comment which said : “It’s not the case that we have agreed to an on-air apology. That is not something that is being entertained.”
Earlier, the MCB had formally presented a letter of complaint to the BBC after the March broadcast and threatened legal action, resulting in the corporation’s offer of an apology. (ANI)
Tags: apology, bbc, british soldiers in iraq, british troops, chiefs, daily telegraph, david dimbleby, insider, letter of complaint, mcb, muslim council of britain, occasions, panelist, question time, scotsman, sir david, soldiers in iraq, time website, unfairness, website news