BBC music conductor, wife accused of rapeJune 7th, 2012 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 7 (IANS) A 67-year-old acclaimed BBC music conductor, who was honoured by the queen for his work on children’s music, has been charged along with his wife of raping a former pupil in the 1970s.
Michael Brewer and his 67-year-old wife Hilary were arrested after a police investigation into allegations of sexual abuse on a former girl student at the Chetham’s School of Music in Manchester, the Daily Mail reported.
Both were charged with rape and indecent assault on the girl when she was aged between 13 and 18 in the late 1970s.
Brewer, who was awarded an Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1995, was director of music at Chetham’s School in Manchester for 20 years. He was the founder of the National Youth Choirs of Great Britain and is its artistic director.
The couple appeared before a judge in Manchester where they faced charges of rape and indecent assault. The trial continues.
Chetham’s, which has almost 300 students aged eight to 18, is the largest specialist music school in Britain.
- British schools send off 900 violent pupils each day - Jul 30, 2011
- Brit teacher 'dunked naked female student in bath to satisfy water fetish' - Nov 20, 2010
- BBC presenter admits sex assaults on teenaged girls - Jan 14, 2012
- Brit female drama teacher plied girl, 13, with alcohol while grooming her for sex - Mar 22, 2011
- Four Oz boys aged 11 to 14 charged with sexual assault - Mar 24, 2011
- Shillong choir founder named to World Choir Council - May 31, 2012
- Chinese held for raping 11 girls - May 30, 2012
- Brit man used schoolgirl, 15, as sex toy in cult's initiation ceremony - Feb 10, 2011
- British boy, 12, jailed for raping two girls - Jul 14, 2012
- Indian kindergartener, 4, raped in Dubai may have been drugged - Jan 30, 2011
- Computer games could be turning your kid violent - Jul 26, 2012
- Sexual grooming of white girls an Asian problem: Official - Jun 08, 2012
- British school teacher jailed for sexually abusing girls - Jun 14, 2011
- Australian music teacher jailed for raping students - Jun 18, 2010
- British couple 'sold' kids for money - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: artistic director, chetham, daily mail, girl student, indecent assault, investigation into allegations, michael brewer, music conductor, music school, obe, old wife, order of the british empire, police investigation, pupil, rape, school of music, sexual abuse, specialist music, wife hilary, youth choirs