BBC journalists face torture, mock execution by Gaddafi’s regimeMarch 10th, 2011 - 1:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 10(ANI): Two journalists working for the BBC in Libya were arrested, tortured and subjected to a mock execution by security forces of Muammar al-Gaddafi’s government.
According to the Guardian, a reporter for the BBC Arabic service, Feras Killani, and cameraman Goktay Koraltan were arrested on Monday at a checkpoint in Zahra, 30 miles from Tripoli.
The shocking account of their experiences was made available after they were released and left the country.
Killani said that they were kicked and punched and beaten to the floor with rifle butts while being interrogated as suspected “British spies” despite having permission to work in Libya.
“There was lots of bad language When I tried to respond he took me out to the car park behind the guardroom. Then he started hitting me without saying anything. First with his fist, then boots, then knees. Then he found a plastic pipe on the ground and beat me with that,” Killani said.
“Then one of the soldiers gave him a long stick. I’m standing trying to protect myself, I’m trying to tell him we’re working, I’m a Palestinian, I have a good impression of the country. He knew who we were [that we were journalists] and what we were doing.”
“They were saying I’m a spy working for British intelligence, they asked me about the 400 and 60 pounds and some dinars I was carrying. They asked if I was given the money from the intelligence department I worked for,” he added.
At one point during their captivity the men say that they had shots fired past their heads as they were led into a barrack. (ANI)
- BBC team blinfolded and beaten by Gaddafi forces - Mar 10, 2011
- Libya's Gaddafi: "All my people love me" - Mar 01, 2011
- NYT journalists recount horror of six-day detention, torture in Libya - Mar 22, 2011
- Fighting engulfs Libya as Gaddafi offers bounty for opposition leader (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- US envoy to Libya killed in attack over movie (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Gaddafi planting bodies at sites of coalition air strike in Libya: Gates - Mar 27, 2011
- Gaddafi's son denies regime using military against Libyans - Mar 02, 2011
- Libya mission saved lives of countless civilians: Obama - Mar 26, 2011
- Turkish journalists released from Syria - May 13, 2012
- People love me, says Gaddafi as Arab world simmers (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2011
- Gaddafi's finance minister fears Libya may run out of cash - Apr 12, 2011
- 'Spy rock' in Moscow was genuine, says UK ex-official - Jan 19, 2012
- CIA meets rebels, inserts operatives to facilitate air strikes in Libya - Mar 31, 2011
- I am not funny: Daniel Craig - Sep 03, 2012
- Not satisfied with my career: Daniel Craig - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,