BBC journalist shot dead in SomaliaJune 8th, 2008 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mogadishu(Somalia), June 8 (DPA) Nasteh Dahir Farah, a reporter for the BBC and AP news agency, has been killed by unknown gunmen in the town of Kismayo, 500 km south of Mogadishu, his wife said. Idil Farey told DPA that her 26-year-old husband had received death threats before he was shot several times in the chest on the way home from an internet cafe late Saturday night.
Witnesses said he was rushed to the hospital but died there. Farah is the second journalist killed in Somalia this year alone while eight other Somali journalists were murdered in 2007.
“No-one is protecting Somali journalists, who have become targets for all the armed sides in Somalia,” said Omar Faruq Osman, secretary general of the National Union of Somali journalists. “We will not stop our work because of these criminals.”
Islamic insurgents are battling transitional government and Ethiopian troops in Somalia, with deadly attacks and civilian casualties an almost daily occurrence.
Hundreds of thousands have fled the capital of Mogadishu since the insurgency broke out following the expulsion of the Union of Islamic Courts from Mogadishu, where they were power for six months in 2006.
Somalia has been in a state of anarchy since the ouster of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991.
- Somalia politician executed for working with Ethiopians - Jan 17, 2009
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- 10 dead in suicide blast at Mogadishu airport - Sep 09, 2010
- Somali insurgents ban UN mine agency - Dec 18, 2009
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Somali military chief replaced amid insurgent push - May 16, 2009
- Somali insurgents take port town without fight - Nov 12, 2008
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
- 26 die after attack on Somali parliament - May 17, 2010
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Insurgents control most of Somalia: President - Nov 16, 2008
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- 23 killed, dozens injured in Somalia fighting - Jun 03, 2010
- Somali President condemns Mogadishu attack - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: ap news agency, civilian casualties, dahir, death threats, ethiopian troops, farey, gunmen, internet cafe, islamic courts, islamic insurgents, kismayo, late saturday night, mogadishu somalia, mohamed siad barre, omar faruq, osman, ouster, siad barre, somalia mogadishu, transitional government