Barricaded Islamabad turns into security zone post emergency declarationNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:25 am ICT by admin
Police were seen positioning unrolled coils of barbed wire to block access to key government and state installations. The main road to the parliament, the Aiwan-e-Sadr (presidential residence) and Supreme Court buildings continue to be blocked off by dividers, police and paramilitaries.
Police and paramilitary Rangers have set up posts near the state-run radio and television stations as well as at luxury hotels in the capital.
Movement towards judges’ residences has been blocked. Shops were open, but traffic was thin and markets were quiet.
The government has detained key opposition figures such as cicket legend turned politician Imran Khan, Javed Hashmi, the acting president of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz and 10 party activists in Islamabad and Multan.
Khan has reportedly been arrested for his diatribe against Musharraf on Saturday, in which he demanded the military ruler’s death on charges of treason against the state. Hashmi on the other hand, is being seen as a rallying point for the opposition.
He has been campaigning for the return of civilian rule in Pakistan and was serving a 23 year jail term since 2003 when the Supreme Court granted him bail in August this year. He was jailed for inciting mutiny in the army, forgery and defamation.
Meanwhile, the police are continuing with their raids on leaders of various political parties in various parts of country including Lahore, Rawalpindi, Peshawar, Islamabad, Karachi, Quetta and Hyderabad.
Security has been beefed up outside the Supreme Court amid fears that the legal fraternity might stage a protest. (ANI with inputs)
- Terrorist held near Pakistani president's house - Sep 28, 2011
- Paragliding diplomat lands in trouble in Pakistan - May 10, 2011
- Strengthen Pakistan-US trade ties: Zardari to Sherry - Nov 25, 2011
- Zardari, US envoy discuss ties - Nov 30, 2011
- Prominent Pakistanis lose corruption waiver shield - Nov 28, 2009
- Sania, Shoaib meet Zardari - Sep 30, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani, Kayani discuss secret memo to US - Nov 17, 2011
- Zardari may get special US guards for security in backdrop of Taseer's assassination - Jan 19, 2011
- Musharraf may be returning to his own grief: Daily - Jan 26, 2012
- Tight security for Gilani's court appearance - Feb 12, 2012
- PPP won't run away from accountability: Zardari - Dec 21, 2009
- Zardari asks PM to review corruption-waiver list - Nov 23, 2009
- Punjab shutdown affects life but peaceful (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Shutdown in Kerala over CPI-M leader's arrest - Aug 02, 2012
- Present suspects who tried to kill Musharraf: Pakistan court (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
Tags: cicket, civilian rule, diatribe, diplomatic enclave, educational sector, emergency declaration, imran khan, islamabad, legal fraternity, military ruler, opposition figures, pakistan muslim league, party activists, presidential residence, rallying point, security zone, supreme court buildings, turned politician