Baroness Ashton’s plunging neckline covered up by Iranian mediaJanuary 26th, 2011 - 3:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 26 (ANI): EU foreign minister Baroness Ashton’s plunging neckline was covered up by Iranian censors in newspapers that reported top-level talks over Iran’s nuclear programme.
While newspapers carried reports of the talk, held in Istanbul, which ended in impasse, the picture showing Baroness Ashton, 54, wearing a low-cut top was censored to give it a more modest, Islamic neckline.
She had followed advice not to touch her Iranian counterpart, Saeed Jalili, during a photocell, and had kept her arms firmly folded behind her back to avoid accidentally causing diplomatic offence to Muslims.
But she did not realise that her outfit would be thought too revealing for Iranian tastes.
“She was properly dressed. It was not low-cut. Many women in Iran are in a complete veil. These were international negotiations in a third country,” the Telegraph quoted a spokeswoman for Lady Ashton as saying. (ANI)
- Iran's Chief Negotiator say nuclear talks will advance only through 'common logic' - Jan 23, 2011
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Six-party n-talks 'positive'; Iran refuses meeting with US (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Istanbul to host next Iran n-talks - Jun 20, 2012
- Iran's nuke-related demands prerequisites, not pre-conditions, says key official - Jan 23, 2011
- Iran willing to talk about nuclear programme: EU - Oct 30, 2010
- Katy Perry's cleavage steals show at her perfume launch - Feb 07, 2011
- Iran talks resume in Baghdad - May 24, 2012
- 'Iran's move to invite EU members except America to nuke facilities a 'ploy': US - Jan 04, 2011
- US dismisses Iran's nuke achievements - Feb 16, 2012
- Turkey, Brazil may join Iran nuclear talks - Jul 29, 2010
- Iran n-talks constructive: EU - Apr 15, 2012
- Won't give up nuclear rights: Iran - Apr 12, 2012
- Iran offered peaceful nuke technology if it surrenders enriched uranium stockpile - Jan 22, 2011
- Iran questions upcoming n-talks 'with no agenda' - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: ashton, baroness, censors, counterpart, foreign minister, impasse, international negotiations, iranian media, istanbul, jalili, london jan, muslims, offence, photocell, plunging neckline, spokeswoman, tastes, telegraph, veil, women in iran