Barcelona take a step towards LigaApril 5th, 2009 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, April 5 (DPA) Barcelona took another step towards the Spanish Primera Liga title Saturday, with a tight 1-0 win away to midtable Valladolid on a goal from league top scorer Samuel Eto’o.
Eto’o struck five minutes before half-time in Valladolid, with his 26th Liga goal. He played a classy one-two with Xavi and made it 1-0 with a calm lob Saturday.
Barca coach Josep Guardiola decided to give Lionel Messi, Dani Alves and Thierry Henry a welcome rest after their national team exertions.
The Catalans dominated from start to finish, with 72 per cent possession, and should have won by a greater margin.
“We were very much in control tonight,” said Barca veteran Sylvinho, “and I never thought that we would have problems.”
Their fourth successive win gives Barca a nine-point lead over second-placed Real Madrid.
Sevilla, meanwhile, have consolidated themselves in their place - six points behind Real - with a 1-0 win away to lowly Recreativo Huelva.
The only goal in Huelva was a 32nd minute penalty from Frederic Kanoute, after Poli had pulled down Sevilla’s Renato.
Sevilla are now nine points above fourth-placed Villarreal, who surprisingly crashed 3-0 in Almeria.
Villarreal went on to the field with their minds Tuesday’s Champions League quarter-final against Arsenal - and were 3-0 down at half-time, with no way back.
The “Yellow Submarine” is now just five points ahead of the four teams who share fifth place, Atletico Madrid, Valencia, Deportivo Coruna and Malaga.
Saturday also brought late home wins for Athletic Bilbao, 2-1 against Mallorca, and for Betis - 3-2 against fellow strugglers Numancia.
With just five minutes left Betis were losing 2-1. They dramatically turned things round with late goals from Capi and Ricardo Oliveira, and are now fifth from bottom.
- Barcelona beaten by Mallorca, Atletico fourth in Spanish League - May 18, 2009
- Atletico Madrid finish fourth, Villarreal fifth, Valencia sixth - May 31, 2009
- Barca crush Atletico, Real thrash Rayo - Sep 25, 2011
- No champagne for Barcelona as Villarreal force dramatic draw - May 11, 2009
- Barca five points behind Real after draw against Espanyol - Jan 09, 2012
- Valencia thrashed by Espanyol; Atletico Madrid beat Betis - May 04, 2009
- Bojan's brace helps Barcelona stay atop in Liga - Mar 16, 2009
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Majestic Barcelona stay six points clear of Real Madrid - Mar 23, 2009
- Barcelona on a 10-match winning streak in Liga - Feb 09, 2009
- Barcelona are virtual Liga champs after thrashing Real Madrid - May 03, 2009
- Barcelona keen to keep goals flowing in Almeria - Mar 13, 2009
- Sevilla stay third; Malaga, Deportivo move up to fifth - Mar 09, 2009
- Spanish football's premier league finalises roll of honour - Jun 01, 2009
- Raul's hat-trick brings Real closer to Barcelona - Apr 27, 2009
Tags: athletic bilbao, catalans, classy one, dani alves, deportivo coruna, exertions, frederic kanoute, josep guardiola, lionel messi, madrid sevilla, numancia, primera liga, ricardo oliveira, samuel eto o, spanish primera, sylvinho, thierry henry, welcome rest, xavi, yellow submarine