Barcelona star Iniesta doubtful for Champions League finalMay 11th, 2009 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 11 (DPA) Barcelona star Andres Iniesta is a doubtful starter in the Champions League final as he pulled a muscle in his right thigh in Sunday’s dramatic 3-3 draw at home to Villarreal.
The Barca medical staff will carry out various tests on Iniesta, but it is already feared that the little playmaker will be out of action for at least two weeks.
Iniesta booked Barca’s place in the May 27 final against holders Manchester United with his injury-time goal against Chelsea on Wednesday.
He will miss Wednesday’s King’s Cup final against Athletic Bilbao, as well as Barca’s last three league games, in which they only need one more point to clinch the title.
Barca coach Josep Guardiola said that Iniesta’s injury - his third this season - was the “bad news of the day”.
Against Bilbao, Guardiola will also be without injured Rafa Marquez and Thierry Henry, as well as the suspended Eric Abidal.
- Do or die for injury-hit Barcelona against Inter - Nov 23, 2009
- Injury-hit Barcelona looking to win first of three trophies - May 11, 2009
- Injured Ibrahimovic to miss Spanish "Clasico" - Apr 09, 2010
- Messi to miss Barcelona-Inter clash - Nov 22, 2009
- Barcelona fans celebrate league title, dream of 'treble' - May 17, 2009
- Iniesta puts Barcelona into final with injury-time stunner - May 07, 2009
- Barcelona to celebrate Guardiola's decision in Valladolid - Jan 21, 2010
- Not giving up Primera Liga title: Guardiiola - Jan 30, 2012
- Guardiola refuses to give up on La Liga title - Jan 29, 2012
- No Messi as Barca take on Sporting Gijon - Mar 03, 2012
- Barcelona kick off Champions League defence against AC Milan - Sep 12, 2011
- Real Madrid stay five behind Barcelona after La Coruna win - Jan 31, 2010
- Barcelona take on Zaragoza in crucial La Liga tie - Nov 18, 2011
- Barcelona sweating on fitness of Messi and Ibrahimovic - Nov 26, 2009
- Barcelona aiming to take winning streak into 2010 - Dec 31, 2009
Tags: andres iniesta, athletic bilbao, bad news, barcelona, champions league final, chelsea, coach, doubtful starter, dpa, eric abidal, injury time goal, josep guardiola, league games, madrid, manchester united, medical staff, news of the day, playmaker, thierry henry, various tests