Barcelona registers late win as Inter and Chelsea drawOctober 2nd, 2008 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Oct 2 (DPA) Lionel Messi scored two late goals to help Barcelona beat Shakhtar Donetsk 2-1 in the Champions League while Inter Milan and Chelsea were both held to draws.Ilsinho looked like he was going to be the hero for the Ukrainian side Wednesday when he held off Carles Puyol before slotting the ball past Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes to put Shakhtar in front.
But with time running out, Messi tapped in an equaliser after an error from Shakhtar goalkeeper Andriy Piyatov before netting the winner in added time.
The win sees Barca stay top of Group C with a maximum six points from two games.
Shakhtar lie joint second on three points, at level with Sporting Lisbon, who beat Swiss side Basel 2-0 thanks to goals from Leandro Romagnoli and Derlei.
In Group A, last year’s beaten finalists Chelsea were held to a scoreless draw away to Romanian side Cluj while coach Luiz Felipe Scolari’s evening was further dampened by the sight of striker Didier Drogba being stretchered off.
AS Roma bounced back from an opening game defeat against Cluj, coming from a goal down to beat 10-man Bordeaux 3-1.
Yoann Gourcuff opened the scoring for the home side after 18 minutes but Bordeaux were reduced to 10 men before halftime when Carlos Henrique was sent off for elbowing Roma’s Cicinho.
Mirko Vicinic levelled matters in the 64th minute while two further goals from Julio Baptista sealed the win for Roma, who move on to three points, one behind Cluj and Chelsea.
Jose Mourinho’s Inter Milan failed to bounce back from their derby defeat to AC Milan at the weekend, drawing 1-1 with German side Werder Bremen.
Maicon gave Inter an early lead but Claudio Pizarro earned a point for Bremen with close-range effort after 63 minutes. In the other match in Group B, Anorthosis Famagusta of Cyprus moved joint top with Inter on four points thanks to a 3-1 defeat of Greek side Panathinaikos.
“Overall, it was a good performance from us,” said a happy Bremen coach Thomas Schaaf while Pizarro said it was important for the “self-confidence” to earn a point.
Robbie Keane got his first goal for Liverpool as the Reds beat PSV Eindhoven 3-1 in Group D to maintain their perfect start to this season’s Champions League. Rafa Benitez’s side sit joint top of the group with six points, level with Atletico Madrid, who beat Marseille 2-1.
- Champions League: Barcelona, Chelsea, Arsenal and AC Milan win - Oct 20, 2011
- Champions League: Barcelona held by Milan, Arsenal by Dortmund - Sep 14, 2011
- Champions League: Barcelona trounce Basel; Sporting win - Oct 23, 2008
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Drogba stars as Chelsea march into champions league last 16 - Dec 07, 2011
- Barca qualify for Champions League semifinals - Apr 04, 2012
- Panathinaikos surprise; Drogba helps Chelsea win in Champions League - Dec 10, 2008
- Milan beat Roma to extend lead - Mar 25, 2012
- Messi strikes thrice in Barcelona's 8-0 rout of Osasuna - Sep 18, 2011
- Champions League: Milan draw with Barcelona, Bayern blank Marseille - Mar 29, 2012
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Roma reclaim sixth spot from Inter in Italian Serie A - Mar 11, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Liverpool, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan advance in Champions League - Nov 27, 2008
- Barcelona, Inter seal knock-out place; Stuttgart off to flyer - Dec 10, 2009