Barcelona refuses to release Ronaldinho for OlympicsJuly 10th, 2008 - 2:11 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, July 10 (Xinhua) Spanish football club Barcelona has refused to release Brazilian striker Ronaldinho to take part in the Beijing Olympics next month. On Tuesday, Brazil’s coach Dunga named Ronaldinho as one of the three players aged over 23 years-old in his squad for Beijing. The squad will get together for the first time on July 22.
However, after seeing how Ronaldinho was well below his full fitness for all of last season, his club wants him back to start pre-season training for the new campaign.
“Barcelona have called Ronaldinho up to return to training on July 14 with the rest of the members of the first team squad,” said an announcement on the official FC Barcelona website.
“The footballer is included in the list that the Brazilian Football Federation has published for the Olympic Games. The Games do not appear in the FIFA calendar, nor is there any special decision on that respect,” explain the club.
Last season saw Barcelona finish a disappointing third in Spain’s Primera Liga and because of this they need to play a qualifying round in order to reach the lucrative group stage of the Champions League.
“In recent weeks, technical secretary Txiki Bergiristain has repeatedly said that Barca’s objective has always been to count on the maximum number of players for the qualifying round,” Barcelona said.
- Another injury setback for Barca as Fabregas tears a muscle - Oct 02, 2011
- Ronaldinho denies indiscipline charge - Jun 04, 2012
- Barcelona must beat Real Sociedad at home - Feb 03, 2012
- Zaragoza extends contract with coach Manolo Jimenez - Jun 05, 2012
- Guardiola quits Barca, deputy Tito to take over (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Barcelona look to close gap with Madrid - Mar 15, 2012
- Real Madrid need Supercup win to boost morale - Aug 28, 2012
- Not giving up Primera Liga title: Guardiiola - Jan 30, 2012
- Barca look to put pressure on Madrid - Mar 23, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Ronaldinho out of Brazil squad - May 12, 2012
- Guardiola refuses to give up on La Liga title - Jan 29, 2012
- Brazil 'open' to Ronaldinho return - Aug 30, 2012
- Xavi, Pique to miss Barca's Liga game at Rayo - Apr 29, 2012
- Real Madrid's lead shrinks to four points - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: 23 years, beijing olympics, brazilian football federation, champions league, football club barcelona, footballer, group stage, july 14, madrid, maximum number, objective, olympic games, olympics, pre season training, primera liga, ronaldinho, spanish football, technical secretary, txiki, xinhua