Barbie’s tattooed makeover leaves parents lividApril 30th, 2009 - 1:06 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 30 (ANI): Barbie has been given a makeover to celebrate her 50th birthday and now comes complete with tattoos. But parents are not too happy with the transformation.
Barbie and her brunette version Nikki are now marketed as ‘Totally Stylin’ and they come with 40 tattoo stickers plus temporary ‘tattoos’ for their little owners.
Each doll has a set of sticker tattoos so children can make her look like their heroes such as Jordan, 30, Amy Winehouse, 25, or Cheryl Cole, 25.
The doll has gone on sale in the US for 13.50 pounds, reports the Sun.
However, parents have expressed their concern and accused the makers Mattel of dumbing down.
One parent said: “Whatever will they bring out next? Drug addict Barbie? Alcoholic Barbie?
“Tattoos are common and if it leads girls to get one, they might regret it for the rest of their lives.
“It is dumbing right down - Barbie should be at the high end of fashion not the chav end,” the parent added. (ANI)
- Will Barbie doll sport a bald look? - Jan 13, 2012
- Mattel to give Barbie's boyfriend Ken makeover in new reality series - Mar 24, 2011
- Barbie to go bald - Apr 01, 2012
- Barbie doll-maker slammed over recruitment of models as young as 12 - Feb 13, 2011
- Life-sized model of Barbie creates a buzz - Apr 20, 2011
- New Barbie dolls for Olympics 2012 - Jul 26, 2012
- 'Busty Barbie' creates a controversy - May 25, 2010
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- Bring Barbie to your bedroom this festive season - Sep 25, 2010
- 'Busty' Barbie Scares America's Mothers - May 25, 2010
- No Recall For New 'Busty Barbie' in 'Barbie Basic's Collection - May 26, 2010
- Barbie doll creator dead - Jul 24, 2011
- Recession hits 50-year-old Barbie but not Lego, other heritage brands - Dec 25, 2009
- Ken and Barbie's fate put to Facebook vote - Feb 09, 2011
- Barbie in burqa to raise funds for Save the Children charity - Nov 23, 2009