Barbie was inspired by saucy German adults-only dollMarch 10th, 2009 - 4:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 10 (ANI): She may be the icon for millions of young girls, but the inspiration behind Barbies creation was actually a saucy German adults-only doll, it has emerged.
As Barbie celebrated her 50th birthday this week, many of her sexy secrets have been revealed, reports The Sun.
According to the Barbie legend created by makers Mattel, she was born Barbara Millicent Roberts in Wisconsin on March 9, 1959.
But her real story is credited to the wife of Mattel co-founder Elliot Handler Ruth Handler found that their young daughter Barbara, also known as Barbie, was playing with cut-outs of teenagers and women instead babyish dolls.
Thus, Ruth realised there was a gap in the market for a teenage doll, but her husband and advertising executives at Mattel dismissed the idea.
Later, in 1956, during a holiday in Europe Ruth came across a 12in German fashion doll called Bild Lilli, which was inspired by the success of a sassy cartoon character in the popular Bild newspaper.
The dolls were considered unsuitable for children and marketed to adults, but Ruth was so impressed with the doll that she bought three of them.
While she gave one of them to her daughter, she took the other two to show Mattel bosses.
After three years, when Ruth had renamed her new doll, Barbie was launched at the American Toy Fair in New York on March 9, 1959.
In the first year, Mattel sold 300,000 of the blonde and brunette dolls at three dollars a time.
And now, Barbies annual global sales are worth 2.3billion pounds.
In 1964 Mattel bought the rights to Lilli and immediately stopped production, reducing Barbies inspiration to a collectors item. (ANI)
- Barbie doll creator dead - Jul 24, 2011
- Hitler ordered sex dolls for Nazi troops - Jul 11, 2011
- Barbie turns 50, looking better than many 20-year-olds - Mar 08, 2009
- Barbie turns 50 - Mar 09, 2009
- Will Barbie doll sport a bald look? - Jan 13, 2012
- Barbie maker's new dolls that 'have to wax' spark outrage - Mar 12, 2011
- Barbie Doll moment for Nicki Minaj - Dec 04, 2011
- Barbie Doll Link Takes User To Pornographic Site - Dec 24, 2010
- Rowling, Clijsters, Sweden's Crown Princess turned into Barbie dolls - Feb 04, 2010
- Barbie dolls inspired by Kardashian sisters - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- New dolls on Pattinson, Stewart 'Twilight' wedding - Jan 12, 2012
- Life-sized model of Barbie creates a buzz - Apr 20, 2011
- Are Barbie and Ken getting together again after 43 yrs? - Feb 07, 2011
- Katrina launches Barbie doll inspired by her - May 05, 2011
Tags: 50th birthday, american toy, barbara millicent roberts, bild newspaper, cartoon character, cut outs, daughter barbara, elliot handler, fashion doll, german fashion, global sales, lilli, mattel, millicent, ruth handler, sexy secrets, teenage doll, three dollars, toy fair, young girls